Many hospital medics forced to flee embattled Afghan city, jeopardising care - officials
Fighting in the northern Afghan city of Kunduz has forced many hospital staff to leave for safety, officials said on Thursday, further jeopardising medical care for hundreds of people.
Street-to-street gun battles have continued for four days after Taliban militants slipped past the city's defences on Monday.
Government troops, backed by U.S. special forces and air strikes, have repeatedly declared that they are in control of the city, but residents report that heavy fighting has forced many people to flee.
Among those fleeing Kunduz are about 70 percent of the staff at the city's main... read more
- 15:42 Bodies of two boys, 17, found near cliffs in Saltburn
- 15:41 Trainspotting sequel props sold for charity
- 15:41 Sir Lenny Henry STORMS OFF Graham Norton's Big Chat after yelling...
- 15:38 Manchester United’s Daley Blind linked with AS Roma transfer
- 15:38 Jose Mourinho reveals the real reason he was in Croatia amid Ivan...
- 15:38 Four Egyptian soldiers killed by explosion in Sinai
- 15:35 Boxing Junior Championships cancelled due to 'threat to life'
- 15:34 QUIZ Celebrate Elton John’s 70th by proving you know all the words...
- 15:33 Who is Manchester United transfer target Ivan Perisic?
- 15:33 How to buy Man City tickets: A guide on how to attend the team's...
- 15:33 Call for councils to ban sky lanterns and balloons in Lincolnshire...
- 15:32 Woman who voted for Trump upset to find her husband will be deported
- 15:32 When do the clocks go forward in 2017?
- 15:32 Choir hits right notes at UK final
- 15:30 Justice League movie TRAILER: Full explosive promo arrives in full...
- 15:30 Seamus Coleman injury: Everton boss Ronald Koeman speaks out on...
- 15:29 How to look after your mental health when you’re always on...
- 15:29 Brazil teacher changes hairstyle to support bullied girl
- 15:29 Air ambulance called after two car crash near Holmfirth
- 15:26 How Hull could soon blanket ban pavement parking
- 15:26 Hull FC player ratings and stats after win at Wigan Warriors
- 15:25 Arsene Wenger gives contract update and reveals future plans
- 15:25 EU leaders meet in Rome but growing Euroscepticism in Italy...
- 15:24 Police pounce on homes and a barge during drugs raids
- 15:22 CHOKING HAZARD: Products for teething babies recalled due to safety...
- 15:22 Don’t forget- the clocks go forward tomorrow
- 15:21 Life on the Farm column with Frances Graham
- 15:21 'I Am Still Me' - Moving photography exhibition shows people with...
- 15:20 Port Vale v MK Dons LIVE: Three changes for Vale
- 15:19 Woman injured in two-car crash in Leeds