Many hospital medics forced to flee embattled Afghan city, jeopardising care - officials
Fighting in the northern Afghan city of Kunduz has forced many hospital staff to leave for safety, officials said on Thursday, further jeopardising medical care for hundreds of people.
Street-to-street gun battles have continued for four days after Taliban militants slipped past the city's defences on Monday.
Government troops, backed by U.S. special forces and air strikes, have repeatedly declared that they are in control of the city, but residents report that heavy fighting has forced many people to flee.
Among those fleeing Kunduz are about 70 percent of the staff at the city's main... read more
- 08:11 German finance minister preparing for Greek aid without IMF - report
- 08:11 Calum Ferguson felt like the King of Coatbridge after securing...
- 08:11 Cloudy and mainly dry with light winds
- 08:10 Drug addict caught stealing meat from Tesco on Christmas Eve
- 08:10 Chelsea Transfer News: £10m Man Utd move, three Costa replacements,...
- 08:10 Tiger Woods return: Age should NOT be an excuse, claims Ernie Els
- 08:10 Updated: Emergency services stood down after bomb scare
- 08:10 Gmail hack: Even tech-savvy users fooled by sophisticated phishing...
- 08:09 Live: Breaking news and travel from Coventry and Warwickshire on...
- 08:09 The morning news headlines: Theresa May faces questioning by MPs...
- 08:09 ‘Paedophile hunter’ was a child abuser himself
- 08:09 Country & Coast: Innocent awakenings offer the first signs of spring
- 08:09 Anger at hotel shutdown
- 08:09 Juventus to offer Arsenal audacious Miralem Pjanic swap deal for...
- 08:08 World healthcare expert applauds 'pioneering' scheme in Millom
- 08:08 Century-old Lucy still loving life down on the farm in Barrow
- 08:08 Two separate bids made to run Dalton zoo
- 08:08 Barrow man ordered to reduce alcohol intake after drunkenly kicking...
- 08:08 Warnings made of pothole 'tipping point' as funding allocation for...
- 08:08 Friends of the X112 horrified after vital funds are sent back to...
- 08:08 Ulverston Post Office closure came "out of the blue" according to...
- 08:08 EXCLUSIVE: Barrow firefighters say 'There has never been a greater...
- 08:08 Thousands missing out on 'grandparents' credit'
- 08:07 A big thank you from National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas for...
- 08:07 New occupant for Edinburgh’s BioQuarter life sciences hub
- 08:06 Why aren’t we buying tampons anymore?
- 08:06 Hurrah for Gin! These gin drawings perfectly capture the struggles...
- 08:06 Chinese New Year: Find out which animal you are and what that means
- 08:06 RPT-Brexit drives push for bigger Frankfurt role in exchange merger
- 08:05 Cloudy and mainly dry with light winds