Manchester United paid goalkeeper Pat Dunne just £35 a week in the 1960s... as the Irish international's contract renewal is posted online
Manchester United's quest to regain the Premier League title saw them spend £100million on Paul Pogba in the summer and commit to paying the Frenchman £300,000 a week.
But in 1965, they were able to tie down an important member of the team which would go on and win the First Division title that season for the modest sum of just £35 a week.
The player in question was Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Pat Dunne, who signed for the club from Shamrock Rovers for £10,500 in 1964 and had done enough to secure a new contract by April the following year.
RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Wayne Rooney... read more
- 21:46 Procter savours 'special' feeling as he steers Northants to victory
- 21:46 Manchester runner's heart-shaped GPS tribute to Manchester attack...
- 21:41 World weatherwatch: Spring brings wildfires, storms and ash plumes
- 21:35 Brexit customs plan won’t be ready until after Britain has already...
- 21:28 Metro delays after report of report of trespasser on the line
- 21:25 West Craven Well Being Group out to combat loneliness
- 21:23 M&S makes plans for Foodhall in Alnwick
- 21:17 Why Unai Emery is like Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, not Arsene...
- 21:13 Uber ends Arizona driverless car programme
- 21:12 Two women charged with murder over death of South Yorkshire woman
- 21:12 Woody Allen's son Moses Farrow defends father over sexual assault...
- 21:11 Police to examine misconduct allegation against John Bercow
- 21:11 MPs back campaign to strengthen domestic abuse bill
- 21:10 Two women charged with murder over death of South Yorkshire woman
- 21:08 Relegated Sunderland poised to appoint St Mirren’s Jack Ross as...
- 21:08 Chelsea prepare talks to sign Unai Emery’s top Arsenal transfer...
- 21:08 Lawmakers choke back tears, rail at US Olympic leaders at emotional...
- 21:08 Fraud trial collapses over disclosure of BHA evidence
- 21:06 Police called to man on roof of castle hotel
- 21:06 Two women charged with murder over death of South Yorkshire woman
- 21:05 Alvaro Morata next club odds: Juventus, Man Utd among favourites to...
- 21:04 PICTURES: Dramatic images show raging inferno near South Yorkshire...
- 21:03 Beyonce and Jay Z show at Hampden given go ahead
- 20:56 Sebastian Vettel disagrees with phasing out of ‘grid girls’ in Monaco
- 20:53 Brexit: Ex-Vote Leave director Cummings warns of 'train wreck'
- 20:52 Uber shuts down self-driving operation in Arizona after fatal crash
- 20:52 Drink-driving dwarf reality star sobs in court as she admits...
- 20:44 'Righteous fight': Warren and Booker call on religious voters to...
- 20:43 Manchester attack: GMP chief criticises BBC documentary
- 20:42 ‘Whistleblower’ woman was ‘taped to chair and gagged by colleagues’