Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton celebrates 60 years since making his first team debut... with a sprained ankle: 'The pain was worth it'
Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton is celebrating 60 years since he made his first team debut for the club.
An 18-year-old Charlton, who had been doing his national service for the Royal Army Ordnance Corps in Shropshire, took his bow at Old Trafford in a League Division One match against Charlton Athletic on October 6, 1956, and scored twice in a 4-2 win. He went on to make 758 appearances for the club over a 17-year playing career and scored 249 goals.
United's then manager Sir Matt Busby had a selection dilemma as England were playing Northern Ireland in the Home Nations on the... read more
- 12:24 Knife crime jumps to highest level since records began
- 12:23 Cyclist 'knocked down by van which crashed into pub'
- 12:23 This is why the Library of Birmingham will be lit orange tonight
- 12:24 ‘Get tough on those who abuse elderly’
- 12:23 Jack Grealish accepted his Aston Villa award with a cheeky...
- 12:23 Sam Johnstone's Aston Villa future: What we know so far
- 12:23 Leeds Building Society launches new tracker cash Isa linked to Bank...
- 12:23 South Staffs Water release statement after Leabrook Road North in...
- 12:23 Musical fundraiser to safeguard Sheffield school's Classics course
- 12:23 BBC shelves Human Planet after doubts cast on whale-hunting scene
- 12:23 New award is launched by Henman
- 12:22 New award is launched by Henman
- 12:22 Just Eat will cater your wedding for free if you get married on 19 May
- 12:22 Iconic toys from your childhood could be worth a pretty penny now
- 12:22 Major planning hurdle cleared for Harrogate Town's stadium overhaul
- 12:22 WATCH: Did you know Mansfield man who captured 50 soldiers...
- 12:22 Chivas win Concacaf Champions League despite Toronto FC fightback
- 12:22 Steven Gerrard in Rangers' thoughts to take manager's job
- 12:20 Dancing with death: the murky ethics of filming people in...
- 12:19 Meet the candidates for the Millfield ward in the Sunderland City...
- 12:18 Malibu Passionfruit rum is the new drinks craze - but stock is...
- 12:18 Leeds United boss makes transfer admission about Birmingham City...
- 12:18 Steven Gerrard to Rangers: Five Liverpool youngsters he could bring...
- 12:18 Newcastle vs West Brom: Kick-off time, team news, betting odds
- 12:18 Interview: 2018 Scottish Surfing Champion Mark Boyd
- 12:18 Man Utd website pleads with fans to respect Arsene Wenger and pay...
- 12:18 A 'reward card scheme' proposed for good Birmingham citizens who...
- 12:17 Musical fundraiser to safeguard Sheffield school's Classics course
- 12:17 NOSTALGIA: This week in 1963 and 1973 and a snapshot from 1998
- 12:17 Now is chance for Kosovo deal, says Serbian president – but at what...