Manchester United approached Arsene Wenger as shock Sir Alex Ferguson replacement
The Frenchman is celebrating 20 years of service at Arsenal this weekend.
But things could have been very different for Wenger had he made a move to Old Trafford earlier on his career.
According to the Daily Star, United made an approach for the 66-year-old when Ferguson first considered retiring.
However, Wenger reportedly rejected their offer before Ferguson reversed his decision and decided to continue at the helm.
Arsenal won their second Premier League title under Wenger in 2002, with Liverpool finishing second and United 10 points off the Gunners in third.
Ferguson would go on to win... read more
- 02:18 Megan Bannister: Friend calls for 'duty to help' law
- 02:09 Ice warning issued for Greater Manchester as region remains in the...
- 02:09 Councils have had to intervene 4,000 times when children were at...
- 02:04 Coronation Street spoilers: Lucy Fallon teases new Bethany Platt...
- 02:04 I’m A Celebrity 2017: Amir Khan hits back as he faces Iain Lee: ‘We...
- 01:53 Championship verdict: Nigel Adkins seems to have got Hull in shape...
- 01:42 The Scots who fought in the battle for Jerusalem
- 01:41 Star Wars: The blockbuster made in Borehamwood
- 01:35 The death (possibly) of monogamy and other relationships
- 01:35 He could have been a contender
- 01:35 Alternatives to the nightmare of a society ravaged by inequality
- 01:35 Defoe brace secures a point for Cherries against Palace
- 01:35 Son shines bright for Spurs in dominant win over Stoke
- 01:35 David’s West Ham slays Goliath as Conte concedes title
- 01:35 The financial aristocrats will eat themselves
- 01:35 The Middle East peace process lies in ruins
- 01:35 ‘This is the 275th day of our hunger strike’
- 01:35 It seems that Brexit doesn’t mean Brexit
- 01:35 Boris leaves Iran without an agreement on jailed Brit
- 01:35 Survivors still let down 6 months on
- 01:35 See the light: Ban nuclear weapons
- 01:33 League Two verdict: Jack Lester is finally turning things around as...
- 01:33 League One verdict: Wimbledon's Darius Charles stumps up £150 to...
- 01:28 I’m A Celebrity 2017: Iain Lee brands Ant and Dec 'b******s' during...
- 01:28 Business leaders urge ministers to 'steady Scotland's economic ship'
- 01:24 Galloway national park fight stepped up
- 01:24 'We are coming for you' message on abuse
- 01:23 Rangers' pop at Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes' ambition lacked class
- 01:18 Dana White reveals how he really feels about GSP vacating the MW title
- 01:12 Amir Khan gets confrontational with Iain Lee during I’m A Celeb...