Man United news: Wenger approached, Mata on Mourinho, forward could leave
Arsene Wenger was approached to become Sir Alex Ferguson's successor in 2002, according to reports in the Daily Star.
The Frenchman joined Arsenal in 1996 when Sir Alex Ferguson had won back-to-back Premier League titles with United.
Two years later and Wenger made his mark on British football with a Premier League and FA Cup double.
And according to reports, Wenger had such a huge impression on the Old Trafford club that they were considering making him Ferguson's successor when he first considered retiring.
Juan Mata has rubbished claims he wanted to quit Old Trafford amid rumours of a... read more
- 14:08 THIS is as crucial as BLOOD pressure for heart health - but do YOU...
- 14:08 ISIS says it was behind London terror attack
- 14:07 More support for victims of domestic abuse in Derbyshire
- 14:07 A DRIVING FORCE: On the road with patient transport volunteer - VIDEO
- 14:07 Man found dead in Wetherpoon toilets by cleaner next day
- 14:06 YP Letters: Why shale gas could transform rural life for the better
- 14:07 ISIS says it was behind London terror attack
- 14:06 YP Letters: High-speed train proves a brain drain
- 14:06 YP Letters: Computers get in way between GP and patient
- 14:06 Fleetwood midfielder George Glendon still available for selection...
- 14:06 Erdogan says Bulgaria's pressure on Turks "unacceptable"
- 14:06 Cheers from wedding guests after door dilemma makes Emily and...
- 14:05 Second Birmingham flat raided over London terror attack
- 14:05 Over one million UK homeowners on wrong mortgage deal
- 14:05 Time to reward our dedicated volunteers
- 14:05 Everton transfer target admits he fancies move to big club
- 14:04 Peter is Spalding’s Cake King for World Autism Awareness Week
- 14:04 Dogs rescued after house fire
- 14:04 Fancy getting a fossil named after you like David Attenborough?...
- 14:04 Westminster Bridge re-opens less than 24 hours after terror attack
- 14:04 Woman calls out man who suggests her breastfeeding is ‘too far’...
- 14:03 Mosque leaders condemn “vile” terror attack
- 14:02 Schools are ‘betrayed’ as budgets cut
- 14:02 Increased police patrols planned for town centre
- 14:02 U.S. investment banks scout Frankfurt office space market - Helaba
- 14:02 Britain's financial watchdog revisits Barclays' Qatari cashcall probe
- 14:01 Sewol ferry on which 304 died raised from murky depths
- 14:01 BREAKING: Man tries to ram crowd on street in Antwerp, Belgium,...
- 14:01 Doncaster healthcare worker steps up to beat cancer
- 14:01 Saudi Arabia's credit rating CUT as low oil prices CRUMBLE Middle...