Man arrested on suspicion of tying up family and burgling their Durham home
A man has been arrested on suspicion of breaking into a family home with a meat cleaver before tying them up and burgling the house.
A 38-year-old local man was arrested late last night on suspicion of aggravated burglary in Bishop Auckland and is currently being interviewed by detectives.
It is alleged that a man smashed his way into his victims’ home through a window and tied up the parents - a woman in her 50s and a man in his 60s - and their teenage children.
Police say the suspect left the Durham Road house with a haul of cash, Barbour jackets and several pairs of Barbour shoes, and... read more
- 15:37 Chelsea vs Southampton: Full line ups and team news for FA Cup clash
- 15:36 Stoke 1-1 Burnley: Ashley Barnes equalises for Clarets in second...
- 15:32 Is the mini-heatwave over? What this week's weather has in store
- 15:32 Arsenal 4-1 West Ham: Late goals from Aaron Ramsey and Alexandre...
- 15:32 The Civic Society column with David Winpenny
- 15:31 TV star Paul O'Grady devastated after death of his beloved dog Olga
- 15:29 Research reveals women are taking control of their finances
- 15:29 NHS staff and patients to celebrate ‘Experience of Care Week’
- 15:29 Thousands of fans pay tribute to Avicii at Coachella following his...
- 15:26 Lesbian mum told baby won’t be legally registered because she is gay
- 15:25 Rafael Nadal beats Kei Nishikori to win the Monte Carlo Masters for...
- 15:25 Courts: Man avoids jail despite attack with rounders bat
- 15:24 Is the mini-heatwave over? What this week's weather has in store
- 15:24 Research reveals women are taking control of their finances
- 15:22 Can you pass the UK citizenship test? Take this quiz and find out
- 15:22 Funding boost for police operation targeting Calderdale's dangerous...
- 15:22 How much do London Marathon 2018 winners get in prize money?
- 15:21 Research reveals women are taking control of their finances
- 15:21 Police raid illegal Thai orgy and find ‘sweating middle-aged...
- 15:21 Majority get first choice school
- 15:21 Trump says North Korea nuclear crisis 'long way from conclusion'
- 15:19 Is the mini-heatwave over? What this week's weather has in store
- 15:19 Meeting to discuss access to cancer services for patients in Cumbria
- 15:18 WEEKEND WEB: Keeping people in their homes
- 15:18 Get the squad together: BBC Three is looking for mates to go on a...
- 15:18 Man arrested outside Birmingham Airport after 'threatening to shoot...
- 15:15 Vintage bike used to fight crime in Edinburgh bought for £265,000
- 15:11 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson gives epic surprise to a fan who asked...
- 15:11 Surge in number of Leicester kids in care triggers massive council...
- 15:10 The Gaitn Inn may be off the beaten track in Millington, but it’s...