Major rise in calls to child abuse hotline amid increasing reports of neglect
Phone contacts to the NSPCC have shot up by almost two-thirds in Wolverhampton, Sandwell, Dudley and Walsall over the past three years, and by more than a half in Staffordshire.
The figures concern calls considered serious enough to be referred to external agencies such as councils and the police.
A breakdown shows 831 contacts were passed on across the four Black Country council areas in 2015-16, a 64 per cent increase from the 504 in 2012-13.
In Staffordshire, the number rose by 52 per cent from 300 to 458.
The charity said the figures reflected both an increasing refusal by the public to... read more
- 16:33 Who could Liverpool FC be drawn against in Champions League?
- 16:33 Sean Smith distances himself from his ‘asexual’ Same Difference...
- 16:33 Manchester United come bottom of the league in Premier League wages...
- 16:32 CCTV stills released after use of fake twenty pound notes in Ripon
- 16:31 BBC apologises for mystery person quiz where answer was Ian Brady
- 16:31 Jeremy Corbyn has finally called the IRA terrorists
- 16:31 Record-breaking Steve Bruce is a promotion mastermind - this is how...
- 16:31 EFL set to change rules following Huddersfield Town's 'weakened'...
- 16:30 Liverpool man appears in Barrow court in connection with alleged...
- 16:30 'No one deserves to be taken so young' Tributes pour in for tragic...
- 16:29 Jeremy Corbyn has finally explicitly called the IRA terrorists
- 16:29 15 things all 90s kids did after school
- 16:28 Arsenal reduce season ticket prices by 10 per cent after failure to...
- 16:29 Cher at 71: Her most incredible outfits in pictures
- 16:28 Real Madrid's celebrations continue as Gareth Bale and Co parade...
- 16:28 American Gods episode 4: Who is Emily Browning? Did YOU recognise...
- 16:27 Golfer meets medics who saved him after heart attack
- 16:27 PICTURE GALLERY: Corby schoolchildren take part in duathlon challenge
- 16:27 CCTV stills released after use of fake twenty pound notes in Ripon
- 16:27 Concert promoters reveal plans for Botanics event in Edinburgh
- 16:24 Grantham hustings at St Wulfram’s Church has been postponed for a week
- 16:24 Tell Dad just how much you care with a free Father’s Day message in...
- 16:24 Worksop police officers commended for their bravery
- 16:23 Nate Diaz fires more shots at the UFC: F**k a retreat!
- 16:22 Stacey Solomon takes karaoke to the next level with nationwide tour...
- 16:22 Vote for your favourite Wigan Curry House
- 16:20 We need private security to patrol lkeston, says Dukeries Club...
- 16:20 What the next Intu Derby restaurant should be - according to you
- 16:19 Warning over Blue Whale Challenge craze after 13-year-old dies
- 16:19 So THAT'S why there's a decibel sticker on your wheelie-bin