Maharajas, Moghuls and mojitos: Embarking on an enthralling tour of India’s past and present
In the pale misty dawn Agra was stirring. Tonga drivers were harnessing their horses, white-robed priests rang temple bells and peacocks fluttered from their roosts in the tamarind trees.
I'd spent the past two days doing what every visitor to Agra does - exploring the splendour of buildings created in the 16th and 17th Centuries by India's Moghul emperors.
They include, of course, the world's most iconic monument to love and loss, the Taj Mahal.
Now, as I left Agra, I was seeking a natural rather than a man-made wonder, the ghariyals - fish-eating crocodiles - of the Chambal River.
Once... read more
- 00:21 The lost fishermen of India's Cyclone Ockhi
- 00:20 Leeds MP warns loneliness is ‘structured into society’
- 00:20 The 'A-Team' that hunts missing planes
- 00:18 Jurgen Klopp slammed by pundit Alan Shearer for his manner after...
- 00:14 10,000 rally against fascism in Italy
- 00:14 Three arrested after arson attack on Gothenburg synagogue
- 00:14 Eco activists carve ‘crack’ into floor at BP protest
- 00:14 Mobo star leads choir to raise funds for NHS
- 00:14 Protests erupt against Trump’s Jerusalem call
- 00:14 Locals in old mining areas prone to depression
- 00:13 Leeds MP warns loneliness is ‘structured into society’
- 00:11 Attenborough and the Giant Elephant review: One big learning curve
- 00:05 Newcastle facing drop from Premier League unless Mike Ashley digs...
- 00:05 Real Madrid step up pursuit of Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris and...
- 00:05 I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here crowns Georgia Toffolo the winner
- 00:03 BREAKING: Bitcoin ‘CRASHES CBOE stock exchange’ less than ten...
- 00:00 Bitcoin futures trading begins on Cboe exchange in Chicago
- 23:59 Former England striker Alan Shearer believes Romelu Lukaku isn't...
- 23:59 NFL game between Buffalo Bills and Indianapolis Colts played in a...
- 23:55 Venezuela opposition banned from running in 2018 election
- 23:52 Lord Kerslake resigns as King's College Hospital Trust chair
- 23:43 Arsenal hopeful of signing PSG loanee Goncalo Guedes
- 23:38 A180 closed after car crashes into central reservation and rolls...
- 23:36 I'm A Celebrity 2017: Ant and Dec fear for Jamie Lomas' safety amid...
- 23:35 On the road: Luton Town manager Nathan Jones is building a football...
- 23:26 Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling is now a complete player......
- 23:25 Horse Racing Tips December 11: Fontwell and Southwell
- 23:23 Manchester City may be 11 points clear but several injuries could...
- 23:23 Ederson has turned Manchester City from pretenders into Premier...
- 23:22 Liverpool city centre street cordoned off after incident - latest...