Maharajas, Moghuls and mojitos: Embarking on an enthralling tour of India’s past and present
In the pale misty dawn Agra was stirring. Tonga drivers were harnessing their horses, white-robed priests rang temple bells and peacocks fluttered from their roosts in the tamarind trees.
I'd spent the past two days doing what every visitor to Agra does - exploring the splendour of buildings created in the 16th and 17th Centuries by India's Moghul emperors.
They include, of course, the world's most iconic monument to love and loss, the Taj Mahal.
Now, as I left Agra, I was seeking a natural rather than a man-made wonder, the ghariyals - fish-eating crocodiles - of the Chambal River.
Once... read more
- 16:53 Marks & Spencer slash 20% off school uniform prices for one week only
- 16:52 Sam Faiers puts on a busty display in plunging satin top and boho...
- 16:52 Lady Victoria Hervey, 40, teases serious cleavage as she exposes...
- 16:52 Incinerator campaigner's victory in Derby City Council fight over...
- 16:52 'I don't want Bear thinking KUWTK is what we should do': Liam Payne...
- 16:52 Bendy Amber Heard showcases her flexibility as she performs a...
- 16:52 'Maybe they'll be a couple in 50 years': Lydia Bright hints romance...
- 16:52 Rear she is! Geordie Shore's Holly Hagan flashes her incredibly...
- 16:52 'My beautiful son!' Big Brother 2015 winner Chloe Wilburn gives...
- 16:51 WADA allows Russia anti-doping body to test again under supervision...
- 16:51 Torino sign Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Salvatore Sirigu after...
- 16:50 ‘Amazing’ demand for boat race
- 16:50 Travellers who have pitched their caravans in Stapenhill are...
- 16:50 Research reveals British Folklore could be in danger of dying out...
- 16:50 New Swedish hotel and spa freezes INTO Arctic lake during the winter
- 16:50 The ATM at 50: how a hole in the wall changed the world
- 16:50 £8k funding boost for Derbyshire projects
- 16:48 David Davis: Brexit 'as complicated as moon landing'
- 16:48 £8k funding boost for Derbyshire projects
- 16:48 Fire crews rescue horse from Derbyshire ditch
- 16:47 The ATM at 50: how a hole in the wall changed the world
- 16:47 Qatar facing indefinite isolation, UAE says
- 16:47 Coins thrown into plane engine by elderly passenger for 'luck'
- 16:47 Milestone for fashion firm
- 16:47 NHS training hub wins building award
- 16:47 $esc.html($content.name)
- 16:47 Residents angry as Doncaster recyling plan approved despite 'flies...
- 16:47 Little joy for pound as BoE tightens credit controls
- 16:47 Think tank voices soft-Brexit fears
- 16:47 New £130,000 soft play area comes to West Bridgford