Low social status 'can damage immune system'
Simply being at the bottom of the social heap directly alters the body in ways that can damage health, a study at Duke University in the US suggests.
Monkey experiments showed low status alters the immune system in a way that raises the risk of heart disease, diabetes and mental health problems.
One expert said the findings were "terrifically applicable" to people.
The findings, in Science, had nothing to do with the unhealthy behaviours that are more common in poorer groups.
The gulf in life expectancy between the richest and poorest is huge - in the US it is more than a decade... read more
- 18:22 Liverpool News: £96m La Liga raid eyed, Fekir deal ‘likely’, Reds...
- 18:21 Why Liverpool won’t be wearing their new kit against Real Madrid in...
- 18:17 Big Bang comp challenges pupils from West Cumbrian schools
- 18:17 Cash boost and award for Whitehaven organisation
- 18:17 Work begins on second phase of Sheffield road resurfacing programme
- 18:15 Champions League final: Liverpool fitness concern over Salah and...
- 18:15 Zero Degrees Festival in Louth will be bigger and better this year
- 18:10 Champions League final: Liverpool legend Graeme Souness SLAMS...
- 18:04 Harvey Weinstein: What next after first charges filed
- 18:02 Parents cry for joy as they find missing son after 24 years
- 18:00 Work begins on second phase of Sheffield road resurfacing programme
- 17:59 Work begins on second phase of Sheffield road resurfacing programme
- 17:58 NHS accolade for popular Wigan heart doctor
- 17:55 ‘Nightmare’ on Boston Road is worse than ever
- 17:53 Work begins on second phase of Sheffield road resurfacing programme
- 17:52 Champions League final: Why Tottenham prove Liverpool can beat Real...
- 17:52 Schoolgirl, 13, vanished on EuroTunnel train to France ‘with...
- 17:51 Abortion referendum likely to put pressure on Northern Ireland...
- 17:52 The roadworks planned on South Yorkshire's motorways next week
- 17:51 Alastair Campbell: Labour under Corbyn 'does my head in'
- 17:47 Arsenal star Jack Wilshere wants rivals Liverpool to beat Real Madrid
- 17:46 And it all began on just £150 ... Alford egg firm becomes largest...
- 17:45 Migrant crisis: Smugglers 'shot escaping migrants' in Libya
- 17:39 The roadworks planned on South Yorkshire's motorways next week
- 17:34 Devastating moment swan tries to save friend from drowning in...
- 17:33 War museum needs you for £2,500 grant
- 17:33 And it all began on just £150 ... Alford egg firm becomes largest...
- 17:31 Chelsea news: Maurizio Sarri has agreement to replace Antonio Conte...
- 17:31 Transfer news LIVE updates: Man Utd 'deal complete', Chelsea,...
- 17:30 Now Ireland has legalised abortion, what happens next?