Low social status 'can damage immune system'
Simply being at the bottom of the social heap directly alters the body in ways that can damage health, a study at Duke University in the US suggests.
Monkey experiments showed low status alters the immune system in a way that raises the risk of heart disease, diabetes and mental health problems.
One expert said the findings were "terrifically applicable" to people.
The findings, in Science, had nothing to do with the unhealthy behaviours that are more common in poorer groups.
The gulf in life expectancy between the richest and poorest is huge - in the US it is more than a decade... read more
- 08:16 Old dog pals are now ready for a new home
- 08:15 Manchester City preparing massive spending spree to boost title...
- 08:15 Weather forecast for the East Midlands: Sunday January 22
- 08:14 Pendle MP's support for electrical safety campaign
- 08:13 Driver rescued after lorry crashes on A1
- 08:11 EXCLUSIVE: Man United to make transfer decision over Victor...
- 08:10 Pep Guardiola rethinks his opinion on Man City title hopes
- 08:10 Manchester United bid for Atletico Madrid winger Carrasco and more...
- 08:08 Derbyshire man and fellow suspect are accused of murder after stabbing
- 08:07 Staff at Kirklees Council tips threaten strike action
- 08:07 Man City in transfer battle with Everton and Leicester for £20m...
- 08:06 Weather forecast for the East Midlands: Sunday January 22
- 08:04 2017 property crash would see £399 a week wiped off UK property values
- 08:03 Antonio Conte: This player's form means I struggle to pick...
- 08:03 Arsenal star Petr Cech sends message to title rivals Chelsea
- 08:02 Sick messages to girl, 13, from man, 63, caught out by...
- 08:02 On This Day: £102k bingo win for Scunthorpe pensioner, a new pitch...
- 08:02 Is Scunthorpe venue the first to advertise Christmas party night...
- 08:02 Revealed: The best and worst GP surgeries in North Lincolnshire as...
- 08:02 Super slimmer unveils her amazing 4-stone weight loss
- 08:02 A transplant saved my life - please sign up so you can save others
- 08:02 Fines for litter louts more than double in North Lincolnshire
- 08:00 My Yorkshire: Brontë expert Juliet Barker on her favourite people...
- 08:00 Miles Jupp: From Balamory to the News Quiz and beyond
- 08:00 Can’t wait for the best 2015 Burgundies to mature? Here’s some to...
- 08:00 Steve McManaman rules out Liverpool transfer
- 07:59 Mischa Zverev reacts to ‘amazing’ Australian Open win over Sir...
- 07:59 Chelsea in talks with Real Madrid for huge summer deal - reports
- 07:57 I like driving in my car - driving instructor writes song about the...
- 07:57 McDonald's admits blunder for serving 24 hours without permission