Longbridge exit down to 'Brexit vote and flawed business model'
Aston University professor and Birmingham Post columnist David Bailey feels the Brexit vote is behind the decision to pull the plug on car production at MG Motor UK's plant in Longbridge.
Last week, the marque's owner Shanghai Automotive (SAIC) announced the production facility would no longer be needed following a cost-cutting drive and despite rising sales.
Prof Bailey said the historic EU referendum vote in June was probably one of the contributory reasons why SAIC took the decision to cease production, along with a flawed business model and sales below expectations.
Although the move... read more
- 12:17 Showing racism the red card
- 12:17 How Birmingham is leading the way for apprenticeships
- 12:17 Helen takes on CEO role at important charity
- 12:17 Your phone bill could be about to get cheaper by £5 a month
- 12:17 Scunthorpe children treated on Pancake Day
- 12:17 Hoax calls over man with a gun lead to arrest and fine
- 12:17 Anger as one in six children miss out on secondary school places
- 12:16 Southwark council fined £570,000 over fatal tower block fire
- 12:16 Chairman Judy hosts gala night of Bourne talent
- 12:16 Anger as one in six children miss out on secondary school places
- 12:15 Cuts, cuts, cuts. Headteachers tell of school system ‘that could...
- 12:15 Trump blames Obama for travel ban protests and security leaks
- 12:15 Real-life rape victim admits Broadchurch season 3 triggered...
- 12:15 NHS mental health crisis: Anorexic children told to starve...
- 12:15 Kinder Surprise's toy cases are yellow for a reason - and now we...
- 12:14 Pancake day first aid
- 12:14 Anger as one in six children miss out on secondary school places
- 12:14 EU wins court backing on anti-dumping duties on Chinese solar panels
- 12:14 Tesco recall children’s toy over safety fears
- 12:14 8 things you’ll only understand if you take medication for your...
- 12:14 Putin says sure will be able to solve disputes with Belarus
- 12:13 MWC 2017: Google Home speaker to launch in UK by June
- 12:13 UK weather: Storm Ewan snow hits parts of country as FOUR INCHES...
- 12:13 Woman subjected to horrific sexual attack in Glasgow lane
- 12:12 Strictly Come Dancing star set to sizzle in South Tyneside
- 12:12 Knitters help charity’s residents feel welcome in new home
- 12:12 What are the UK's most-used household goods according to...
- 12:11 Man from Banbury reported missing
- 12:12 How low can they go? Germany sells two-year debt after yield slide
- 12:11 Student nurse the latest to come forward about Flip Out Chester...