Local authorities' child protection services 'failing vulnerable youngsters'
The quality of help and protection offered to at-risk children across England is "unsatisfactory and inconsistent", a report has found.
The chair of an influential House of Commons committee said it was "horrifying" that more than three-quarters of local authority child protection services were found to be inadequate or requiring improvement, despite annual spending of £1.8 billion on children's social work.
Spending watchdog the National Audit Office (NAO) found that demand for help and protection is rising, with a 124% increase in the past 10 years in the number of... read more
- 16:34 Primary schools in Lincolnshire rated as best performers in East...
- 16:33 Youth football coach allowed to keep working after child sex...
- 16:33 Watford 3-2 Everton: Stefano Okaka brace stuns the Toffees as...
- 16:33 Writer AA Gill dies after short battle with cancer
- 16:33 Arsenal star Mesut Ozil hits goal scoring milestone with header v...
- 16:32 Council warns residents about 'misleading' flyer
- 16:30 Upper crust pork pie victory by Haighs Shop
- 16:30 Kirklees man arrested over impersonating police officer
- 16:28 Writer AA Gill dies after short battle with cancer
- 16:28 Taxi driver who raped a teenage passenger jailed for 10 years
- 16:25 University tells students ‘don’t dress like Kim Kardashian’...
- 16:25 Hull City fans protest against Allam ownership in front of Anlaby...
- 16:25 ‘Good’ result for Leicestershire Police in latest HMIC inspection
- 16:24 Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder
- 16:21 Search for Good Samaritan after woman sexually assaulted
- 16:19 Is your old Nokia or Motorola mobile phone worth up to £1,000?
- 16:18 Upper crust pork pie victory by Haighs Shop
- 16:18 Kirklees man arrested over impersonating police officer
- 16:16 Arsenal star Hector Bellerin takes 17 minutes to underlain his...
- 16:16 INTERVIEW: Anders Lustgarten
- 16:16 Dramatic picture shows car on its roof after crash in Stenson...
- 16:15 Flooded nursery heading into 2017 on a high
- 16:14 Man United Transfer News: Dimitri Payet swap deal, Divock Origi...
- 16:14 WATCH: Santa Claus is coming to town for Marston's Christmas Festival
- 16:14 Killer drivers to face life sentences in plans put forward by...
- 16:13 Accident closes busy South Yorkshire road
- 16:12 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Pupils show off model homes
- 16:12 Moulton Seas End teen’s passion for animals set to leave legacy
- 16:12 Football club members lose their locks to raise money for cancer fight
- 16:10 Fans claim Jose Mourinho would be banned if he ‘pushed’ fourth...