Liverpool faces West Midlands rival for 2026 Commonwealth Games
Liverpool is to get a rival in its bid to hold the Commonwealth Games 2026 as Birmingham today [Friday September 30] bid to host the event.
The West Midlands city leaders hope it could benefit from a £390 million economic windfall by winning the chance to hold the games there in a decade’s time.
Its launch follows the move earlier this year by Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson to bring the 2026 games to the Liverpool city region - and today he welcomed the competition.
He said Liverpool will be “making a strong and powerful case” to host the massive international sporting event, building on its... read more
- 09:23 Future of Todmorden Community College to be discussed
- 09:23 Life sciences firm Elasmogen secures £1.2m injection
- 09:23 Boston United to extend stay at York Street while Quadrant building...
- 09:22 Man smashes van windscreen in road rage incident in Corby
- 09:22 WATCH: Dolphins captured by drone off Northumberland coast
- 09:21 Three wasted police time by making false 999 calls
- 09:21 Two women 'sexually assaulted' at Download Festival, court told
- 09:21 Big Little Lies: Nicole Kidman left in 'a lot of pain' with...
- 09:20 Which 11 Prem stars make it into the European media’s top 25...
- 09:20 In-demand midfielder appears to confirm Manchester United transfer
- 09:20 Burglars targeting two Sheffield suburbs in crime wave
- 09:20 Mobile phone snatched from delivery company
- 09:20 New car park opens in Crowle as part of regeneration plans
- 09:20 Neighbours star Little aims for large panto success at Palace Theatre
- 09:19 Work on £52,000 skate park nearing completion
- 09:19 South Yorkshire blinded military hero makes second attempt to reach...
- 09:19 Rangers prodigy Billy Gilmour a summer target for Chelsea - but...
- 09:19 VOTE: Have PNE left themselves with too much to do?
- 09:18 ‘Thousands of pupils at risk’ over lack of proper school health plan
- 09:18 Meet Nottingham lawyer whose brother-in-law Nick Wright scored one...
- 09:18 Roads are now in terminal decline, new report claims
- 09:17 Richard Branson makes THIS shocking Dragon's Den confession
- 09:17 WEATHER ALERT: Beware foggy conditions
- 09:17 AA full-year core profit steady, new business up
- 09:17 Fears Brits could lose £1.1bn in spare change by forgetting to swap...
- 09:17 Coventry City and Charlton Athletic fans to team up for joint...
- 09:17 Elderly man taken to hospital after fire at Norman Hudson Care Home...
- 09:17 Roads are now in terminal decline, new report claims
- 09:16 South Yorkshire residents could no longer get access to...
- 09:16 New Zealand coach issues injury update on Leeds star Chris Wood,...