Live longer? The maximum human lifespan 'has ALREADY been reached'
Although we are living longer than ever on average, the maximum age is unlikely to ever go beyond the current record of 122 and 125 is the absolute limit.
The study, published online by the journal Nature, suggests that it may not be possible to extend the human life span beyond the ages already attained by the oldest people on record.
Since the 19th Century, average life expectancy has risen almost continuously thanks to improvements in public health, diet, the environment and other areas.
Babies born in the United States today, for example, can expect to live to an average age of nearly... read more
- 09:51 PREMIER LEAGUE & FA CUP PREVIEW: Heavyweight tie as Man Utd face...
- 09:51 Competition: Win tickets to Burnley's Reel Cinema
- 09:50 Closure of Denstone Stores prompts concern older villagers could...
- 09:49 Firefighters tackle digger blaze in South Cumbria
- 09:49 Mum who gave birth at Northampton General Hospital names baby after...
- 09:49 Firefighters tackle house fire on the Fairmead Estate in Melton
- 09:48 Half of drivers think speeding is acceptable, poll finds
- 09:48 ‘The Sagas of Noggin the Nog’ comes to Great Carlton
- 09:48 Update: Collision involving ‘bus and tractor’ on the A16 at Grainsby
- 09:46 Fast and furious: Half of drivers think speeding is acceptable,...
- 09:45 Knife crime rises in Northumbria
- 09:44 New spring food festival arrives in Banbury this weekend
- 09:44 Barclays boss used bank's security team to hunt for whistleblower
- 09:43 Sunderland youngsters could be offered new deals as Chris Coleman...
- 09:43 Car fire spreads to three other vehicles during early morning blaze
- 09:43 Call for Carlisle to become major transportation hub
- 09:43 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 09:42 Call for Carlisle to become major transportation hub
- 09:41 Fast and furious: Half of drivers think speeding is acceptable,...
- 09:40 Man, 70, remains in hospital after Fleetwood crash
- 09:40 Shop explosion father speaks of feeling 'powerless' at seeing the...
- 09:39 Best places to buy a hot tub for summer 2018 including Aldi, Asda,...
- 09:39 Jeetan Patel delighted by new recruit's excitement to be playing...
- 09:39 This horrifying Snapchat feature could put kids at risk of paedophiles
- 09:39 Crazed Man United fan butchers cheating wife with samurai sword...
- 09:39 The day Dale Winton was called a 'poof' in Sheffield - and the...
- 09:38 Tributes paid to Leamington’s legendary landlord
- 09:39 Matthew Bates gives injury update on Michael Woods and Josh Hawkes
- 09:38 Admissions issue exists after just one year at new Heathcote School
- 09:38 Catholics to outnumber Protestants in Northern Ireland by 2021