'Limited evidence' for benefit sanctions, NAO says
Benefit sanctions leading to "hardship, hunger and depression" are being imposed on people despite "limited evidence" on how well they work, the National Audit Office says.
The public spending watchdog also said use of the sanctions "varies substantially" between jobcentres.
Sanctions can be imposed on people who fail to comply with conditions attached to the benefits they receive.
The government said improvements had been made to the system.
An estimated 400,000 sanctions were imposed against people on out-of-work benefits last year.
They are used when people... read more
- 18:30 Train somehow gets lost in Yorkshire on way to Reading
- 18:29 Irish abortion referendum: Ireland overturns abortion ban
- 18:27 Ireland votes by landslide to legalise abortion
- 18:27 Romanised causes 25-1 shock in Irish 2,000 Guineas at Curragh
- 18:25 History made as Ireland votes to legalise abortion in...
- 18:22 Liverpool News: £96m La Liga raid eyed, Fekir deal ‘likely’, Reds...
- 18:21 Why Liverpool won’t be wearing their new kit against Real Madrid in...
- 18:17 Big Bang comp challenges pupils from West Cumbrian schools
- 18:17 Cash boost and award for Whitehaven organisation
- 18:17 Work begins on second phase of Sheffield road resurfacing programme
- 18:15 Champions League final: Liverpool fitness concern over Salah and...
- 18:15 Zero Degrees Festival in Louth will be bigger and better this year
- 18:10 Champions League final: Liverpool legend Graeme Souness SLAMS...
- 18:04 Harvey Weinstein: What next after first charges filed
- 18:02 Parents cry for joy as they find missing son after 24 years
- 18:00 Work begins on second phase of Sheffield road resurfacing programme
- 17:59 Work begins on second phase of Sheffield road resurfacing programme
- 17:58 NHS accolade for popular Wigan heart doctor
- 17:55 ‘Nightmare’ on Boston Road is worse than ever
- 17:53 Work begins on second phase of Sheffield road resurfacing programme
- 17:52 Champions League final: Why Tottenham prove Liverpool can beat Real...
- 17:52 Schoolgirl, 13, vanished on EuroTunnel train to France ‘with...
- 17:51 Abortion referendum likely to put pressure on Northern Ireland...
- 17:52 The roadworks planned on South Yorkshire's motorways next week
- 17:51 Alastair Campbell: Labour under Corbyn 'does my head in'
- 17:47 Arsenal star Jack Wilshere wants rivals Liverpool to beat Real Madrid
- 17:46 And it all began on just £150 ... Alford egg firm becomes largest...
- 17:45 Migrant crisis: Smugglers 'shot escaping migrants' in Libya
- 17:39 The roadworks planned on South Yorkshire's motorways next week
- 17:34 Devastating moment swan tries to save friend from drowning in...