Limit to human life may be 115 (ish)
Human life spans may be limited to a maximum of about 115 years, claim US scientists.
Their conclusions, published in the journal Nature, were made by analysing decades of data on human longevity.
They said a rare few may live longer, but the odds were so poor you'd have to scour 10,000 planet Earths to find just one 125-year-old.
But while some scientists have praised the study, others have labelled it a dismal travesty.
Life expectancy has been increasing relentlessly since the nineteenth century - due to vaccines, safer childbirth and tackling killers like cancer and heart disease.
But... read more
- 10:10 New weather warning issued for Cumbria as stormy weather continues...
- 10:10 Men who sup more than seven pints of beer a week for several years...
- 10:08 Manny Pacquiao reveals terms agreed with Amir Khan for April 23 fight
- 10:08 Rey Vargas too good for Gavin McDonnell as Mexican takes WBC...
- 10:07 How to get 18 holiday days by booking just nine...
- 10:07 Rab C Nesbitt stars inspired by Still Game to bring show to stage
- 10:07 13 super-cute cooking accessories to up your pancake game
- 10:07 'He's acting like an idiot' Mum of tragic boxer Mike Towell blasts...
- 10:07 In-spire-d way of ‘doing church’
- 10:07 Northumberland Camera Club: Snap to it and join our photo band
- 10:06 This lorry driver's heartfelt letter to people of Derby after being...
- 10:05 Literary and Scientific Society: Inequality and social anxiety
- 10:05 Price of stamps to increase
- 10:03 Arsenal starlet stretchered off after suffering serious looking injury
- 10:03 Derbyshire still high risk area for bird flu
- 10:02 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 10:00 Driver who speeded along Lincoln's busiest city centre road ordered...
- 10:00 Ask Andy: Should couples have threesomes and how to bat off...
- 09:59 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:58 Chelsea star sends emotional message to Premier League rival
- 09:58 Taliban leader urges Afghans to plant more trees
- 09:56 ECB won't end asset purchase program all of a sudden, Weidmann says
- 09:56 Euro zone economy - real recovery or another Sirens' song?
- 09:54 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:52 How to get 18 holiday days by booking just nine...
- 09:48 3,000 people to have no Job Centre if Government plans go ahead
- 09:48 South African deputy finance minister named in police probe -...
- 09:46 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:45 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:45 PNE focus on the kids