Limit to human life may be 115 (ish)
Human life spans may be limited to a maximum of about 115 years, claim US scientists.
Their conclusions, published in the journal Nature, were made by analysing decades of data on human longevity.
They said a rare few may live longer, but the odds were so poor you'd have to scour 10,000 planet Earths to find just one 125-year-old.
But while some scientists have praised the study, others have labelled it a dismal travesty.
Life expectancy has been increasing relentlessly since the nineteenth century - due to vaccines, safer childbirth and tackling killers like cancer and heart disease.
But... read more
- 18:07 Ladies’ Day tea party at Stamford Town Hall
- 18:06 Germany: Plane and helicopter crash in mid-air, killing four
- 18:06 Egypt election: Retired general and candidate Sami Anan arrested
- 18:06 'She was the life and soul of the party' - How Amy Fenwick's...
- 18:06 Transport Secretary Chris Grayling says franchise system must...
- 18:06 'Unpleasant' ISIS videos of suicide bombings and execution victims...
- 18:03 Major hold ups on A1 until late tonight after lorry crash
- 18:03 Over 150 homes affected by burst pipe in Cumbria
- 18:01 Malaysian chef Norman launches pop-up in Birmingham
- 18:01 Woman taken to hospital after house fire in Middleton
- 18:01 New chief executive at Mansfield council started as clerical...
- 18:00 £800,000 bid to end Lancashire's bed blocking crisis
- 18:00 Government sets up new unit to take on fake news
- 18:00 Burnley boss Sean Dyche signs new £15m long-term contract at Turf Moor
- 18:00 Arsenal vs Chelsea team news: Three ruled out for Gunners, six...
- 17:59 Contracts up for grabs as Saints bid to win Anglo-Welsh Cup
- 17:58 Netflix's history: From DVD rentals to streaming success
- 17:58 Future of Calder High School’s sixth form in the balance
- 17:58 Rachel Morrison makes Oscar history for cinematography
- 17:58 Man charged with murder over death of Robert Sempey
- 17:57 Parents miss out on 10k a year as unpaid cabbies
- 17:56 £800,000 bid to end Lancashire's bed blocking crisis
- 17:56 Bitcoin price WARNING: Crackdown on crypto is COMING warns Nobel...
- 17:56 CCTV released after shoplifting at Penrith supermarket
- 17:55 Arrest after car reported stolen with 11-year-old girl inside
- 17:55 Man charged with murder over death of Robert Sempey
- 17:55 Hard Sun streaming: How to watch the BBC series online
- 17:54 Turpin family: Dramatic video shows moment children escape House of...
- 17:54 Trump to invite Macron to Washington as he continues to SNUB Britain
- 17:54 FLU WARNING: Future pandemic could kill MILLIONS as virus mutates