Lightning storms knock out power to entire Australian state
Severe storms and thousands of lightning strikes knocked out power to the entire state of South Australia on Wednesday, energy authorities said.
South Australia is the country's fifth most populous state, with 1.7 million people, and is a major wine producer and traditional manufacturing hub.
"No upstream supply from the transmission network. State currently w/out power," state energy provider SA Power Networks said in a statement.
The Bureau of Meteorology said a vigorous cold front was moving across the state with an intense low pressure system due on Thursday.
"We'll have... read more
- 07:26 Crawford Falconer takes up post as UK's top trade negotiator
- 07:20 Olivia Attwood ‘dragged out of nightclub by security’ after fight...
- 07:20 North East news LIVE: Latest breaking news, sport, weather, traffic...
- 07:20 Real Madrid to ensure David De Gea joins by next summer: Keylor...
- 07:20 Arsenal Transfer News: Oxlade-Chamberlain exclusive, Draxler bid,...
- 07:18 Young woman 'left humiliated and in tears' by car salesman
- 07:18 Hull Live: Breaking news, traffic and travel from across East...
- 07:12 Even the capitalists think Trump’s toast
- 07:12 Can Syria be free after Isis?
- 07:12 Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho reveals the secret behind...
- 07:11 Plans for new Carlisle bar and restaurant revealed
- 07:07 How Jeff Sessions and Donald Trump have restarted the war on drugs
- 07:07 What it’s like to go to A&E when you’re having a mental health crisis
- 07:04 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte urged to sign another striker despite...
- 07:03 Venezuela: Caracas stands behind new assembly despite US smears
- 07:03 Syria: Four civilians killed by shells after Assad warning to West
- 07:03 South Africa: SACP steps up ANC war of rhetoric
- 07:02 BBC weather: Carol Kirkwood hugs curves in form-fitting navy jacket...
- 07:00 Response officers armed with tasers deployed to 'man wielding hammer'
- 07:00 Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor: How can I watch it in the UK...
- 06:59 Live: Breaking news from Liverpool and Merseyside Monday August 21
- 06:58 Bid to cut £1m from Kirklees Council's council tax discount bill
- 06:57 Missed targets show Scotland's NHS is barely clinging to life
- 06:55 North Korea warns of ‘uncontrollable nuclear war’ over US exercises...
- 06:55 Neston dental practice given clean bill of health
- 06:53 Value of what North East Lincolnshire Council owns drops by £23m
- 06:53 Hike in car parking charges could leave car parks deserted, survey...
- 06:53 New head taking over the reins of Grimsby school for horses and riders
- 06:53 Melanie Onn calls for misogyny to be become a hate crime amid...
- 06:51 Brendan Rodgers can take Celtic beyond the Champions League group...