Life on Mars? Scientists receive boost in hunt for aliens on the Red Planet
They believe seismic activity could have created enough hydrogen and micro-organisms to sustain some form of living being.
Boffins at Yale University in the USA, co-ordinated by Sean McMahon, published their findings in the scientific journal Astrobiology.
The research team formulated the data after studying active faults in Scotland's Hebridean Islands.
They found friction caused by earthquakes creates new rocks containing tiny pockets of hydrogen that would favour the appearance of life-form.
Dr McMahon said: "A previous study had suggested hydrogen is formed during earthquakes when... read more
- 01:41 Liverpool hero takes subtle dig at Man United: How they've helped...
- 01:35 When Joni Mitchell wore blackface for Halloween
- 01:33 Russia denies its warships will join Aleppo bombardment - RIA
- 01:31 Male contraceptive jab 'shows promise'
- 01:30 'In the future we will see if he can return': Spain boss Julen...
- 01:30 Bayern Munich winger Arjen Robben named in Holland squad for...
- 01:30 Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri says he will welcome Juventus forward...
- 01:30 Radamel Falcao's problems stem from Premier League spell, insists...
- 01:23 China's main search engine Baidu sees first ever revenue drop
- 01:19 Manchester City fans are filmed singing as they ‘knock sinks off...
- 01:19 Under-fire Mark Warburton restates commitment to Rangers amid...
- 01:19 Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes hoping to upset the odds against...
- 01:19 Ian Poulter sits seven shots off the lead as he continues his...
- 01:18 China's October factory activity may show mild growth amid weak demand
- 01:17 Adult Halloween events in Birmingham and beyond
- 01:14 Advocates laud U.S. decision to ban LGBT discrimination in foreign aid
- 01:07 Dare you eat the Hotter than Hell Pizza?
- 01:04 'Pre-reg' cars now widespread in UK
- 01:03 Japan September consumer prices fall, add to run of gloomy data
- 01:00 Man admits vandalising Trump's Walk of Fame star in Los Angeles
- 00:52 Double gold for Ferreira at the London jiu jitsu championships
- 00:49 ‘Milestone’ floods action plan for Calderdale revealed
- 00:49 Extra trained nurses 'key to stroke survival' says study
- 00:45 Scott Brown ready to make sensational Scotland comeback in next...
- 00:42 QUIZ: Can you answer Sheffield, South Yorkshire and further afield...
- 00:40 WADA publishes report highlighting 'serious failings' at Rio...
- 00:38 A night to celebrate our Rio heroes in Mytholmroyd
- 00:38 ‘Milestone’ floods action plan for Calderdale revealed
- 00:37 Sexy artwork inspired by Fifty Shades of Grey on sale in Birmingham
- 00:37 Steve Bruce on Gabby Agbonlahor and his future at Aston Villa