Life on Jupiter? Hubble telescope spots water vapour plumes
Tantalising new evidence of water vapour plumes erupting from the surface of Jupiter’s moon Europa has been uncovered by the Hubble Space Telescope.
If shown to be real, the plumes are likely to originate from the global salty ocean known to lie beneath the moon’s icy shell.
They could provide a golden opportunity to investigate the ocean - which many scientists believe has the potential to harbour life - without drilling through miles of ice.
Earlier, the American space agency Nasa sparked a frenzy of social media speculation about aliens after promising news of “surprising activity” on... read more
- 16:49 Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Jason Statham welcome first baby:...
- 16:48 Stop food-shaming in the office
- 16:46 MURDER TRIAL: Elderly shopkeeper struck over head while she was...
- 16:45 Two dogs die after being walked in Knighton Park in Leicester
- 16:45 Blind veteran to tackle 100km charity challenge
- 16:45 Moorside is 'enormous opportunity' says nuclear expert
- 16:45 Done Deal: Ryan Sessegnon signs contract at Fulham, opts against...
- 16:44 Brutal Love Island game 'ends in split' for one of show's favourite...
- 16:44 Paolo Nutini found not guilty of drink-driving
- 16:44 Police warn explosions may be heard near Wakefield flat where...
- 16:44 Gosberton Summer Fair brings village together
- 16:43 Police warn explosions may be heard near Wakefield flat where...
- 16:43 Lucky escape for M1 driver after metal object comes through windscreen
- 16:43 Transfers: Wolves set to beat Celtic to full-back signing
- 16:43 How Aston Villa could look with John Terry
- 16:43 Japanese airline forces disabled man to crawl aboard
- 16:42 Talking point: Burton Albion are getting summer business done early
- 16:42 Free shows for Elvis fans left All Shook Up by cancellation
- 16:41 Reveller caught in nightclub with knife sticking out of trousers
- 16:41 Love Island's Olivia Buckland shows off her tattooed curves in racy...
- 16:41 Because she wants to! Billie Piper goes barefoot for a stroll on...
- 16:41 BREAKING NEWS: Contractor falls up to 30 metres from crane at...
- 16:41 EXCLUSIVE: Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink offered Oxford United job
- 16:41 Successful Cumbrian nuclear expert
- 16:41 Former police chiefs among six to face criminal charges over...
- 16:41 Grenfell Tower fire death toll 'around 80 people' but true total...
- 16:41 Paddington author Michael Bond dies aged 91
- 16:41 Free shows for Elvis fans left All Shook Up by cancellation
- 16:39 Hopes that austerity was nearing its end have just been dashed
- 16:38 Tech giant aql hosts first Digital Leaders event out of the capital