Lidl to pay voluntary living wage to 5,500 UK employees in boost for workers
From March 1st, 5,500 employees will get a minimum of £8.45 per hour and £9.75 per hour in London, making them among the best paid supermarket workers in the country.
Bosses said the move - which benefits a quarter of the workforce - was as part of the retailer’s ongoing commitment to investing in its employees.
The Living Wage Foundation is an independent body whose recommended minimum wage is higher than the National Living Wage set by the Government.
News of Lidl’s new pay system comes just over a year after the German chain became the first British Supermarket to adopt the Living Wage... read more
- 17:16 Live football on TV: What channel is showing Torino vs AC Milan?
- 17:16 The future is bright for Annan Rugby Club after they score a cheque...
- 17:16 Chelsea striker Diego Costa trains alone as team-mates urge...
- 17:16 EXCLUSIVE: Luke Rockhold hits back at Jacare, defends decision to...
- 17:16 Rush hour delays after crash on M621 motorway in Leeds
- 17:15 Spanish police smash ISIS 'caliphate cell' in latest of 181 jihadi...
- 17:15 Dozens rescued off coast of British tourist hotspot in latest...
- 17:15 Daniel’s charity gesture
- 17:15 Theresa May's Brexit plans: What we know so far
- 17:15 Pupils provide a primary audience for drama event
- 17:15 Birmingham City winger Koby Arthur snatches a draw for Blues Under 23s
- 17:15 Jilted bride ties the knot after heartbreak led her to new love
- 17:15 The emotional moment Aston Villa fans chant Graham Taylor's name at...
- 17:14 British mothers drinking during pregnancy put us in worst five...
- 17:14 Liverpool shock: Joel Matip could miss these crucial games as FIFA...
- 17:14 In 2022 we’ll be able to watch an 1,800-year old star collision
- 17:14 Chesterfield hand Ched Evans a one-year contract extension after...
- 17:14 County cricket club pays off £1 million of debt to Northamptonshire...
- 17:14 Sergeant sacked by Northamptonshire Police over sexual relationship...
- 17:14 Disney toys recalled over safety concerns
- 17:13 Channel 4 wants people from Hull for new series of Hunted
- 17:12 Rush hour delays after crash on M621 motorway in Leeds
- 17:12 How long have you got to spend your old Fivers?
- 17:12 Six people injured in A66 crash
- 17:11 Where are the best health stores?
- 17:11 Six workers hospitalised after Kuehne and Nagel carbon monoxide...
- 17:11 Black-out of lights at Branston on the A38 is to end after Highways...
- 17:11 Mum who fed drugs to daughter, 4, ‘feels responsible for her death’
- 17:09 Rush hour delays after crash on M621 motorway in Leeds
- 17:09 Young woman could have died from drunken fall, inquest told