Libyan forces reduce Islamic State's grip in Sirte to final few blocks
Islamic State controls a residential strip less than 1 Km long in their former stronghold in Libya's Sirte, where pro-government forces backed by U.S. air strikes are advancing building by building to finish a five-month-old campaign.
Over the past two days, forces led by brigades from Misrata have pressed further into Sirte's neighbourhood Number Three as an intensified aerial bombardment and a barrage of tank fire slowly dislodged militant sniper positions.
Militants were clinging to an area called Manara, a sub- district that if ceded, Misrata commanders said, would leave them exposed to... read more
- 07:16 Ex-South Yorkshire Police to challenge his removal from the force
- 07:16 Hull KR close to signing Zach Dockar-Clay and Josh Johnson
- 07:16 New poll shows centrist Macron beating Le Pen to win French election
- 07:15 How will Brussels react to Article 50 being triggered?
- 07:15 Reality Check: Will the UK pay a €60bn 'divorce bill'?
- 07:15 Liam Payne faces the realities of nappy-changing head on in small...
- 07:14 Repeated fires cause damage to Lincolnshire's most haunted church
- 07:14 Street which fought huge housing plan could now get 280 new homes
- 07:14 More than 400 Doncaster properties hit by power cut
- 07:11 Beyond the blade: the truth about knife crime in Britain
- 07:11 Hartlepool United improving all the time
- 07:10 Gareth Bale should have seen red for bad tackle on John O'Shea,...
- 07:10 India ease to eight-wicket win over Australia in Dharamsala to...
- 07:08 Neil’s plight to help others after his own inspirational journey
- 07:07 Diego Costa: Why this Premier League target can be a phenomenon
- 07:07 Premier League’s big five eye Brazilian wonderkid
- 07:06 Emmerdale spoiler: Will Rebecca reveal fling with Robert to a...
- 07:06 Emmerdale spoiler: Laurel brings husband Ashley home to die in...
- 07:06 Coronation Street spoiler: Nathan EXPOSED as Bethany sees picture...
- 07:06 Neville: How Fergie told me it was time to leave Manchester United
- 07:06 Shropshire maternity units review ‘not a downgrade’
- 07:06 Neymar opens up on Lionel Messi and Barcelona following Man United...
- 07:06 Yorkshire weather: Cloudy skies bring an end to our all-too-brief...
- 07:06 Demolition of historic Scarborough building begins
- 07:06 Music teacher denies historic sex crimes
- 07:06 Live: Breaking news from Liverpool and Merseyside Tuesday March 28
- 07:04 SICK ISIS militants made female prisoners TORTURE EACH OTHER for...
- 07:04 ‘An inspiration’ Nelson Mandela’s fellow anti-apartheid activist...
- 07:02 REVEALED: Burnley and Pendle’s best and worst GP surgeries as rated...
- 07:02 £50m Chelsea raid, Liverpool defender swoop, Man United talks,...