Library cuts to open north-south divide with just two to serve quarter of Birmingham
Planned cuts will open up a major north-south divide in Birmingham libraries, it has been warned.
The council is currently consulting over plans to slash the community library budget by £1.9 million a year and have earmarked the costly Sutton Coldfield Library and Aston Library for closure.
But the proposals also mean that residents north of the M6, including Sutton Coldfield, Erdington, Castle Vale and Kingstanding will be left with just two major community libraries out of 19 in the city.
Opposition Conservatives are now calling on the ruling Labour group to reconsider the plans and... read more
- 14:34 Naked university rowers suspended from Instagram
- 14:34 West Ham transfer news: SIX players linked to the Hammers after...
- 14:34 CO2 shortage could hit UK beer and chicken supplies during World Cup
- 14:34 Hospital payout for cancer patient's family after 'failures in care'
- 14:34 Middle income households faring best since the crash, report finds
- 14:34 Disney raises offer for 21st Century Fox to $71.3bn and outflanks...
- 14:33 Why there could be a World Cup beer crisis
- 14:33 I don’t want to be upskirted – are there any outfits I should avoid?
- 14:33 Where is cannabis legal around the world and where can you only use...
- 14:32 Summer fair will mark Whitley Bay school’s centenary year
- 14:32 Pals team up for Rushden quiz night in aid of Gambian friend
- 14:32 Whitley Bay pub undergoing a major refurbishment
- 14:32 Watch: Paddy McGuinness, Peter Crouch and Jamie Redknapp pile into...
- 14:32 Bookmakers slashed odds on dramatic Love Island return for Charlie...
- 14:32 Whitefield Aldi given go-ahead to knock down 'community hub' next...
- 14:31 10 Fringe and Festival jobs you can apply for now
- 14:30 Drugged driver had pregnant girlfriend in car during high-speed...
- 14:28 The Yorkshire Post says: Emails at PMQs about North’s ‘valueless’...
- 14:28 Watch: Hundreds stop to watch parrot on the loose in Birmingham...
- 14:27 Millionaire refuses to pull down Britain’s biggest man cave so he’s...
- 14:27 Hospital payout for cancer patient's family after 'failures in care'
- 14:26 University of Hull and VISR launch mixed reality accelerator
- 14:26 Playhouse revamp cost to rise by £2m
- 14:24 Road to shut for up to four weeks
- 14:23 Woman accused of curfew breaches
- 14:21 Fire crew called to Workington blaze
- 14:21 Prison governor hospitalised after 'unprovoked inmate attack' at...
- 14:21 Bongo's Bingo's back!
- 14:21 Suspects appear in court over robbery where knife allegedly held to...
- 14:21 Open meeting about church tourism in East Northants tonight