Letter from Africa: In defence of aid workers' lives of luxury
In our series of letters from African writers, Ghanaian journalist Elizabeth Ohene reflects on her interactions with aid agencies in crisis zones.
At my age, every new event sends my mind reeling back into the past. Not surprising, therefore, that the ongoing Oxfam scandal has sent me thinking of past events.
When the story first broke that Oxfam workers had "used prostitutes and held sex parties" in Haiti, I must confess, I was a touch underwhelmed. I had never imagined charity workers had taken vows of celibacy or were saints.
If you have reported around the African continent as... read more
- 06:00 Brutal Assad rains deadly bombs on rebels as kids stuck in regime...
- 06:00 Hero cop who swapped place with woman hostage during French terror...
- 05:51 5 best dinosaur video games of all-time and 2018 – Reader’s Feature
- 05:46 Tottenham 'consider signing Arsenal target' as they prepare for...
- 05:44 Labour MPs attack sacking of Owen Smith over Brexit
- 05:41 Sunday service and more evening trains announced as part of major...
- 05:32 Alastair Campbell diaries: Secret war between Tony Blair and Prince...
- 05:30 Gareth Bale to Man Utd: Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane to force...
- 05:25 F1 qualifying LIVE STREAM: Updates as Lewis Hamilton eyes pole in...
- 05:25 West Ham boss David Moyes set for splurge on Porto star Moussa Marega
- 05:25 Liverpool can challenge Man City and WIN Premier League if they do...
- 05:25 French police 'hero' dies of wounds
- 05:25 Chelsea star Pedro reveals honest feelings on Eden Hazard
- 05:23 Chapter One of The Driver’s Seat, by Muriel Spark, with an...
- 05:22 Revealed: Number of beggars fined under strict city centre rules
- 05:09 March for our Lives protests planned for 800 places across the world
- 05:09 Boko Haram kept one Dapchi girl who refused to deny her Christianity
- 05:08 Spain Catalonia: Clashes after separatist leaders detained
- 05:08 Man jailed for repeatedly stabbing man as he lay defenceless on the...
- 05:06 Counting birds to plot nature’s revival on the Peak District moors
- 05:04 Main Burnley road reopened after serious accident
- 04:51 North and South Korea schedule talks at Panmunjom within days
- 04:44 Coventry City digest: Promotion challenge, Baker latest, Crystie...
- 04:43 Chatsworth House £32m restoration unveiled
- 03:56 Paul Rogers: IS feeding on harvest of hate from air war
- 03:56 Tom Richmond: Staunch May let down by ministers over Putin
- 03:56 William Wallace: As brexit looms, has it all been worth it?
- 03:48 Hyperemesis gravidarum: The mum whose morning sickness has never...
- 03:48 Behind the job: Life as a Formula 1 mechanic
- 03:37 Russian spy: Being an agent 'messed up' Skripal's life