Let Jungle camp children into Britain, top clerics urge PM
Former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Williams and high-ranking names from the Muslim and Jewish faiths in Britain are among signatories of an open letter urging action against "a stain on the conscience of both France and Britain".
It calls for Mrs May to allow 397 child refugees living in the camp near Calais to be allowed to enter Britain.
It comes after French president Francois Hollande said the site would close before winter, with its 9,000 inhabitants dispersed around the country.
In the letter, organised by the Citizens UK charity, they tell Mrs May the children, the... read more
- 11:21 Love Island star Sophia Gradon has died aged 32
- 11:21 Hotel plan to serve up midge burgers
- 11:21 Charity bake sale in Morecambe’s Arndale centre
- 11:19 Scarborough welder tried to sell drugs to special constable
- 11:19 'Washing is a privilege': life on the frontline of India's water...
- 11:17 Aston Villa explain the future of their matchday programme after...
- 11:17 Former Aston Villa star attacked in Magaluf bar and rushed to hospital
- 11:17 'About time' a woman presented Question Time, says Culture Secretary
- 11:17 Mansfield students sell own wears at market
- 11:16 Man charged with Kingsley murder appears at Northampton court
- 11:16 Rugby fans to get first glimpse of new 10,000 seater stadium
- 11:14 Puffins could be about to become extinct
- 11:14 Donald Trump ‘threw Starbursts at Angela Merkel’ during heated...
- 11:13 Seven free outdoor activities for children in Edinburgh and the...
- 11:12 Sergio Ramos hits back at Diego Maradona, Queiroz and Iran
- 11:12 Grieving woman blasts state of Newhall Cemetery after digger churns...
- 11:12 Hallelujah! Blackpool pupils are a class act
- 11:12 Are you set to lose WhatsApp because your phone's too old? These...
- 11:11 Revealed: Canada uses massive US anti-terrorist database at borders
- 11:11 Is it justifiable to harass those who enforce Trump's immigration...
- 11:11 Tesla sues former employee accused of stealing ‘gigabytes’ of data
- 11:10 Painted pebbles show talent
- 11:10 Competition: Win tickets to Burnley's Reel Cinema
- 11:10 Four nurseries at risk of closure as funding is 'cut to the bone'
- 11:10 Summer fete at Burnley school will boost fund for major...
- 11:10 Hull parents criticise school which ordered 'smart and tidy' kids...
- 11:09 Ofsted chief backs calls to ban mobile phones in schools
- 11:09 World Cup briefing: Germany urged to drop Mesut Ozil after Mexico...
- 11:09 Liverpool transfer news: Emre Can arrives in Turin for medical
- 11:08 Users of phones running on certain operating systems are set to...