Leopards and pumas are BREEDING in the British countryside, expert says, as newly released data shows more than one big cat sighting is reported to police every week
Leopards and pumas are breeding in rural Britain, an expert has claimed, as new data shows more than one big cat sighting is being reported to police every week.
Forces in England, Wales and Northern Ireland logged 455 sightings of big cats from members of the public between 2010 and 2015.
Norfolk and Suffolk had the most sightings, with 57 and 26 respectively. Accounts of a black panther stalking the two counties have featured regularly in news reports.
Jonathan Downes, an expert in unknown animals, said the frequency of sightings long after it became illegal to domesticate big cats proved... read more
- 15:10 Grandad kept live World War Two bomb in his living room for 70 years
- 15:10 Consultation begins for Lancaster and Morecambe street lights
- 15:10 Meet the candidates in the Hetton ward for the Sunderland City...
- 15:10 Why you could face a HUGE fine if you wear sunglasses while driving
- 15:10 The Leeds high street shops we have loved and lost
- 15:09 Lancashire Police warning about child grooming in theatre show
- 15:09 'Habitual' burglar jailed for breaking in and attacking staff...
- 15:09 Alexandre Lacazette and Hector Bellerin square up as tempers flare...
- 15:08 Marco Rose demands 'special performance' from Red Bull Salzburg in...
- 15:08 Family-of-five living off food banks and family loans after...
- 15:08 Why you could face a HUGE fine if you wear sunglasses while driving
- 15:08 Wanted man suspected of series of thefts across city
- 15:08 Watch hilarious moment woman is left with 'Billy Bob' smile after...
- 15:08 Theatre Review Write on
- 15:08 Liverpool hero Mohamed Salah hailed by Spanish media as the player...
- 15:08 George North seals move back to Wales as Ospreys announce deal to...
- 15:05 Wanted man suspected of series of thefts across city
- 15:05 World Penguin Day quiz: test your knowledge of our flightless friends
- 15:05 The art of the feel: why Trump is master of the awkward greeting
- 15:05 European commission calls for €20bn investment into AI
- 15:04 Couple drop LSD to see if it makes them better at assembling...
- 15:04 How to get rid of dandruff and what causes it
- 15:04 Mum livid after daughter's friend returns 'too generous' party bag
- 15:03 Family-of-five are forced to live off handouts after bank wrongly...
- 15:03 City sentiment on Britain takes a turn for the better as wealth...
- 15:03 Why you could face a HUGE fine if you wear sunglasses while driving
- 15:03 Flooding defence boost for town
- 15:02 America’s favourite dog breed hasn’t changed for almost 30 years
- 15:02 Fenerbahce vs Besiktas Turkish Cup semi-final to be restarted from...
- 15:02 Leeds owner defends decision to tour Burma after club are accused...