Leicester Cathedral visitor numbers rocket by 414 per cent since Richard III's reburial
The unexpected arrival of Richard III's regal bones at Leicester Cathedral has seen its visitor numbers grow by more than 400 per cent, according to new figures.
More than 220,000 people walked through the cathedral Church of St Martin's gothic doorways in 2015, according to data compiled by Visit Britain, a national tourism agency funded by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
The figure is an increase of 414 per cent compared to 2014, which saw the cathedral record 42,800 visitors.
Leicester diocese spokeswoman Liz Hudson said it was no mystery as to what was attracting the... read more
- 10:04 Birmingham City: This is why Leeds United boss Garry Monk won't be...
- 10:04 Jansen praises ‘colossal’ impact of striker Jack
- 10:04 Two-wheeled heroes call for volunteers
- 10:04 Fraudsters may have targeted elderly man in Chesterfield
- 10:04 St Johnstone’s cancelled day off was positive not punishment
- 10:04 Nando’s lovers rejoice, there’s a new sauce in town and it’s hotter...
- 10:03 Dear Justine Greening, whatever happened to ‘eradicating illiteracy’?
- 10:03 South Shields FC owner hopes for new £10million ground
- 10:03 Parents warned about indecent images sent to children on apps and...
- 10:03 Malaysia says North Korean firms linked to arms trade being...
- 10:01 Profit warning and apology to customers from group behind Southern...
- 10:01 Blackpool woman’s 20 years’ in business
- 10:01 Doctors' warning: Patients dying because our hospitals are 'jam-full'
- 10:01 Ten of Glasgow’s oldest buildings
- 10:01 Anger as one in six children miss out on secondary school places
- 10:01 How many players has each Premier League team used so far this season?
- 10:01 Pundit: Antonio Conte proved his class with these four expert...
- 10:01 Manolo Gabbiadini: Liverpool want to sign Southampton star next...
- 10:01 Minecraft helped to guide shootout movie Free Fire's set
- 10:01 Talking Horses: Willie Mullins’ Cheltenham team plus Tuesday tips
- 10:01 Parents warned about indecent images sent to children on apps and...
- 10:01 Dogs sniff out illegal cigarettes and tobacco in raids across...
- 10:00 Police appeal for dashcam footage after death of 14-year-old in...
- 10:00 Apprentices get unique chance to work on BBMF
- 10:00 Dawn raids in Cheshire on drugs ring which saw county as an 'easy...
- 09:59 Delays in Burton due to reports of accident
- 09:59 Huge apprenticeship exhibition heading to Sheffield
- 09:59 Police warning after attempted burglary
- 09:59 Man attacked by would-be robbers
- 09:59 Aramco's Malaysia deal gives Saudis upper hand in fight for Asia...