Legal challenge to Brexit to begin at High Court
A legal challenge over Brexit begins today in what has been described as the most important constitutional case in generations.
Opponents are fighting to stop Theresa May triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty to leave the European Union without the prior authorisation of Parliament.
Government lawyers will argue before three judges at the High Court in London that the Prime Minister is legally entitled to use the royal prerogative to start the Brexit process.
Mrs May announced at the Conservative Party conference that she intends doing so by the end of March.
Campaigners say only... read more
- 16:25 Police chase car attempting to get on the M1 the wrong way
- 16:22 Highgate murder victim named by police as graduate Abdul Rahman...
- 16:21 A life 'completely destroyed' by one paragraph of immigration law
- 16:19 Vandals destroy beehive leaving 3,000 bees to die
- 16:18 David Davis set for another visit to Northern Ireland
- 16:17 COLUMN: An elegant wader
- 16:17 Incredible teenager battles back from the brink to take first steps...
- 16:16 Meghan Markle’s uninvited family celebrate royal wedding wearing...
- 16:13 Stretton grandmother has no plans to retire as she celebrates 40th...
- 16:13 Big cash injection for Yorkshire peatland restoration
- 16:11 COLUMN: An elegant wader
- 16:10 Aston Villa set to snap up Sheffield Wednesday midfielder on a free...
- 16:10 Leeds United set to take advantage of Garry Monk's Birmingham City...
- 16:10 Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's 'all-night party' after royal...
- 16:09 Kurt Angle reveals future of The Undertaker and Dean Ambrose in WWE
- 16:08 Teen seriously injured in Manchester bombing runs 10k race in the city
- 16:05 Marching with pride as With Banners Held High returns to Wakefield...
- 16:05 Police chase car attempting to get on the M1 the wrong way
- 16:04 Ed Sheeran song 'not for anti-abortion campaign'
- 16:04 Great Northern, Southern and Thameslink trains cancelled
- 16:03 7 ways to cope with endometriosis pain
- 16:03 ‘I felt like I was in a bubble’: Why men pay to see a dominatrix
- 16:01 Photo of the week: Nature at its best in Mablethorpe
- 16:01 Man Utd star Ander Herrera takes swipe at Chelsea tactics following...
- 15:59 Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is without a UK visa
- 15:59 Saltley shooting: Teenager remains in serious condition in hospital
- 15:57 Marching with pride as With Banners Held High returns to Wakefield...
- 15:57 Paul Pogba blasted Alexis Sanchez during Manchester United’s FA Cup...
- 15:55 11 fantastic East Midlands Airbnbs with a difference
- 15:55 Chinese takeaway in Leicester shut down after inspectors find dead...