Legal challenge over Brexit to begin at High Court
A legal challenge over Brexit begins today in what has been described as the most important constitutional case in generations.
Opponents are fighting to stop Theresa May triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty to leave the European Union without the prior authorisation of Parliament.
Government lawyers will argue before three judges at the High Court in London that the Prime Minister is legally entitled to use the royal prerogative to start the Brexit process.
Mrs May announced at the Conservative Party conference that she intends doing so by the end of March.
Campaigners say only... read more
- 07:21 Real Madrid news: Karim Benzema sends message to haters and gives...
- 07:19 England name team to take on Australia in Ashes opener as Jake Ball...
- 07:19 Flood alerts issued for Cumbria
- 07:19 Does Canada celebrate thanksgiving? When and why do they do it?
- 07:17 Colin Montgomery: Politicians who should go on Casualty and Beechgrove
- 07:17 Leader comment: Single Market may be UK’s single option for Brexit
- 07:16 Liverpool news: WATCH Naby Keita score stunning goal for RB Leipzig...
- 07:16 Liverpool news: Frank Lampard makes bold Premier League and...
- 07:16 Chelsea news: Antonio Conte has the future of Stamford Bridge at...
- 07:16 Ashes: England reveal team for first Test as Jake Ball gets the nod...
- 07:16 Red flags everyone should look out for when they’re dating
- 07:15 Singer and actor David Cassidy dies aged 67
- 07:14 Singer and actor David Cassidy dies aged 67
- 07:13 Sellafield workers strike today in row over pay
- 07:13 Hull Live: Breaking News, traffic and travel from Hull and East...
- 07:13 Shrimps can’t keep failing to fire
- 07:11 Sellafield workers strike today in row over pay
- 07:11 Funerals, birthdays and potentially even his own wedding -...
- 07:10 Australian school apologises for 'suggestive' saint statue
- 07:09 Man City manager Pep Guardiola reacts to Feyenoord win and Phil...
- 07:09 Manchester United predicted line up vs Basel
- 07:09 Singer and actor David Cassidy dies aged 67
- 07:07 The TGI Fridays tug-of-war: Kingswood and city centre tussle over...
- 07:06 Road near Kirkham closed after flooding
- 07:05 Uuganaa Ramsay: Equality and fairness? People with disability are...
- 07:05 James Cant: We’re saving more babies with heart defects thanks to...
- 07:02 Skype removed from China Apple and Android app stores
- 07:02 Manchester United target Antoine Griezmann drops bombshell:...
- 07:02 WWII Spitfire recovered from Owersby field
- 07:02 Vile footage shows police woman being spat at 24 TIMES