Legal challenge over Brexit to begin at High Court
A legal challenge over Brexit begins today in what has been described as the most important constitutional case in generations.
Opponents are fighting to stop Theresa May triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty to leave the European Union without the prior authorisation of Parliament.
Government lawyers will argue before three judges at the High Court in London that the Prime Minister is legally entitled to use the royal prerogative to start the Brexit process.
Mrs May announced at the Conservative Party conference that she intends doing so by the end of March.
Campaigners say only... read more
- 17:39 Chelsea hero Graeme Le Saux predicts Southampton to cause FA Cup...
- 17:39 Viagra can now be bought prescription-free for as little as £5 a...
- 17:38 Hazel Blears pledges support for Cumbria at BECBC AGM
- 17:38 Harrogate family's 'Herculean' effort for five-year-old born with...
- 17:38 Blooming marvellous plant fair set for Holker Hall
- 17:38 Yet more roadworks planned for the centre of Carlisle
- 17:37 Harrogate family's 'Herculean' effort for five-year-old born with...
- 17:37 Liverpool to be without four first-team players when they travel to...
- 17:34 Labour leader in blast over council policy
- 17:34 Town man on accused of drugs charge
- 17:33 Gunman shot at ex-girlfriend’s car during school run - Leeds Crown...
- 17:33 Stratford Literary Festival inspires with author school visits
- 17:30 Alfie Evan’s parents lose latest round of legal battle to keep...
- 17:29 £66.5 million police drug bust: eighth man jailed
- 17:29 Hazel Blears pledges support for Cumbria at BECBC AGM
- 17:28 Grantham Hospital: Consultants voice concerns to bosses over future...
- 17:28 Theresa May's advisor Nick Timothy deletes his Twitter account...
- 17:26 Post office experience at Nene Valley
- 17:24 Dom and Denise filming by Chester's Eastgate Clock for BBC 1 series
- 17:23 What are the likely line-ups? Who are the key men? Preston v...
- 17:23 Morecambe announce season ticket price freeze
- 17:20 Carlos Carvalhal describes Pep Guardiola as a 'god of football' but...
- 17:20 Ruby Walsh fails in bid to be fit for the Punchestown Festival...
- 17:19 Fundraiser at Stanhope Hall for parent and toddler group
- 17:18 How wearing sunglasses behind the wheel could see you fined £2,500
- 17:17 Tory candidate banned for links with EDL and white supremacists
- 17:17 Conservative former councillor urges people to vote Labour
- 17:17 Joe Corré on his £5m punk ashes – and Malcolm McLaren's death mask
- 17:16 Anthony Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn insists they want Deontay...
- 17:16 Hammond: Brexit transition deal has averted City job losses