Legal aid: Barristers to strike over 'relentless cuts'
Barristers are to go on strike over "relentless" cuts which have left the criminal justice system "broken".
The Criminal Bar Association (CBA), which represents criminal lawyers in England and Wales, is advising its members take part in "days of action".
It also recommends its members refuse all legal aid cases from 1 April when a new fees system comes into force.
The Ministry of Justice said it was "extremely disappointed" by the position taken by the CBA.
Angela Rafferty QC, chair of the CBA, has warned that prisons, courts, the police and probation... read more
- 16:31 Philippines protests as Kuwait expels envoy over maid 'rescues'
- 16:30 Wakefield Council to close creche in move to save cash
- 16:30 Tyson Fury: I can beat Deontay Wilder with a hand tied behind my back
- 16:30 Sheffield mother and daughter jailed over vicious screwdriver...
- 16:30 McLaren remove Tim Goss from chief technical officer position after...
- 16:30 Paul Lambert '100% certain' about his decision to axe Saido...
- 16:29 Alcohol-related admissions on rise in Sunderland
- 16:29 Pub car park killer showed ‘no mercy’ during fatal attack on his...
- 16:29 Tributes paid to Norwegian woman who became leading Melton travel...
- 16:29 Murderers shared torture photos of schoolgirls who vanished 18...
- 16:29 UK country duo My Darling Clementine coming to Wirral venue
- 16:28 The pros and cons of privatising the NHS
- 16:28 Battered face of angler knocked out in brutal Tamworth attack by...
- 16:28 Wakefield Council to close creche in move to save cash
- 16:27 Drink-driver to lose his job after crashed into traffic lights
- 16:26 Who is Jeremy Kyle engaged to? What we know about Vicky Burton
- 16:26 From Sowerby Bridge to the Champs-Élysées - The Chiropractor...
- 16:25 Take a look at the refurbished Aldi store in Leamington
- 16:25 Take a look at the Nivea Men Body Shave Range line-up
- 16:25 Pub car park killer showed ‘no mercy’ during fatal attack on his...
- 16:24 Bridget Phillipson MP: Why we should recognise the positive impact...
- 16:23 Volunteers needed to help Sheffield children who are in care
- 16:23 Online tools help parents stalk student children
- 16:22 Pub car park killer showed ‘no mercy’ during fatal attack on his...
- 16:21 Kate Middleton and Prince William settle into home life with new son
- 16:21 Leabrook Road Wednesbury flooded after burst main chaos
- 16:21 Farmers urged to upgrade security after burglaries in Warwickshire
- 16:21 Entire Jubilee Line on London Underground SUSPENDED
- 16:21 Take a look at the refurbished Aldi store in Leamington
- 16:21 The Avengers Infinity War: What happens to Thanos?