Leek inventor swindled £40k in benefits to pay off debts
A 72-YEAR-OLD inventor fraudulently claimed more than £40,000 in benefits so he could help pay off his debts.
Award-winning Raymond Connor – who developed environmentally-friendly products to bring to market – failed to notify the authorities that he had set up his own company.
And although he later sold Biotec Ltd, he carried on working for the firm while claiming housing benefit, pension credit and council tax benefit.
Now Connor, of Victoria Street, Leek, has been sentenced to 26 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months, after magistrates heard he was 'overpaid' £40,243.
Read more:... read more
- 15:30 Cops warning on Notts cold callers
- 15:29 This company wants to put pussy (cats) back in the White House seat...
- 15:29 Arsenal facing lengthy Arsene Wenger ban, but does it make...
- 15:29 Former Manchester United winger Memphis Depay scores stunning goal...
- 15:29 Twitter backlash as Trump signs anti-abortion law in one of first...
- 15:28 This is what the Brexit Supreme Court decision actually means
- 15:28 Anglesey paedophile jailed again after being caught in young girl's...
- 15:28 Harborough travel firm to ‘double in size’
- 15:27 Massachusetts mattress conceals $20m in cash
- 15:27 Aston Villa: This is how soon top scorer Jonathan Kodjia could be back
- 15:27 Liam Payne narrowly avoids GUNMAN at Hollywood nightclub shooting
- 15:27 Birmingham Moseley decision throws up some difficult questions
- 15:25 Ethical hackers head to Dundee for Securi-Tay
- 15:25 Flying visit to Banbury for famous steam engine
- 15:25 Twitter backlash as Trump signs anti-abortion law in one of first...
- 15:25 Fresh Tube strikes to hit London from tomorrow
- 15:25 Man with world’s biggest penis – 19 inches – could be appearing in...
- 15:25 Chelsea eyeing Diego Lopez and Tim Krul as Asmir Begovic nears...
- 15:24 'I heard them scream that they were on fire': Flight director who...
- 15:24 Did an earthquake in Nepal knock an inch off Everest? Doubts over...
- 15:24 Driving standing up conviction for tall Newcastle man
- 15:24 Peta calls for Scotland’s last elephant to be moved to sanctuary
- 15:22 Woman beaten and robbed after dropping children off at school
- 15:22 Government loses Supreme Court Brexit battle
- 15:22 Burton Albion transfer news: Nigel Clough waiting on two loan...
- 15:22 Mohamed Elneny wants to become a legend at Arsenal like Thierry Henry
- 15:22 Dancer celebrates her 100th birthday
- 15:22 John Brayford won't rely on luck as Burton Albion look to turn...
- 15:21 Melton variety night show raises over £900 for Rainbows
- 15:20 Troll says he’s ‘glad’ former Man City ballboy, 19, died from cancer