Lawyer Aamer Anwar says the family of Surjit Singh Chhokar feel only relief as justice is finally done
THE verdict is not a cause for celebration, but relief that finally justice has been done.
For any parent, the loss of a child shatters the soul. But no one can imagine the devastating toll on a family having to campaign for justice for nearly 18 years.
Did Surjit’s killers really think his life was so cheap that his family would just walk away?
At the end of the second trial in 2000, I stood on the steps of the court accusing our justice system of acting like a gentlemen’s colonial club, of being arrogant, unaccountable and institutionally racist.
But now the Chhokar family want to thank... read more
- 14:34 Naked university rowers suspended from Instagram
- 14:34 West Ham transfer news: SIX players linked to the Hammers after...
- 14:34 CO2 shortage could hit UK beer and chicken supplies during World Cup
- 14:34 Hospital payout for cancer patient's family after 'failures in care'
- 14:34 Middle income households faring best since the crash, report finds
- 14:34 Disney raises offer for 21st Century Fox to $71.3bn and outflanks...
- 14:33 Why there could be a World Cup beer crisis
- 14:33 I don’t want to be upskirted – are there any outfits I should avoid?
- 14:33 Where is cannabis legal around the world and where can you only use...
- 14:32 Summer fair will mark Whitley Bay school’s centenary year
- 14:32 Pals team up for Rushden quiz night in aid of Gambian friend
- 14:32 Whitley Bay pub undergoing a major refurbishment
- 14:32 Watch: Paddy McGuinness, Peter Crouch and Jamie Redknapp pile into...
- 14:32 Bookmakers slashed odds on dramatic Love Island return for Charlie...
- 14:32 Whitefield Aldi given go-ahead to knock down 'community hub' next...
- 14:31 10 Fringe and Festival jobs you can apply for now
- 14:30 Drugged driver had pregnant girlfriend in car during high-speed...
- 14:28 The Yorkshire Post says: Emails at PMQs about North’s ‘valueless’...
- 14:28 Watch: Hundreds stop to watch parrot on the loose in Birmingham...
- 14:27 Millionaire refuses to pull down Britain’s biggest man cave so he’s...
- 14:27 Hospital payout for cancer patient's family after 'failures in care'
- 14:26 University of Hull and VISR launch mixed reality accelerator
- 14:26 Playhouse revamp cost to rise by £2m
- 14:24 Road to shut for up to four weeks
- 14:23 Woman accused of curfew breaches
- 14:21 Fire crew called to Workington blaze
- 14:21 Prison governor hospitalised after 'unprovoked inmate attack' at...
- 14:21 Bongo's Bingo's back!
- 14:21 Suspects appear in court over robbery where knife allegedly held to...
- 14:21 Open meeting about church tourism in East Northants tonight