Land of the Celtic giants: Mid-Ulster is revealed as a hotspot for abnormally tall people
Northern Ireland is home to the Giant's Causeway, and it seems that the rock formation may not be the only giant in the country.
Scientists have identified a 'giant hotspot' in Northern Ireland, where people carry a gene mutation causing them to grow abnormally tall.
One in 150 people have the gene mutation in mid-Ulster, compared to just one in 2,000 people across the rest of the UK.
THE MUTANT GENE The pituitary gland is responsible for causing people to become giants, by producing and releasing far more growth hormone than is needed.
It is also close to the optic nerve, so can cause... read more
- 08:58 Liverpool striker Divock Origi reveals he rejected Manchester...
- 08:57 How to cure a cold and other winter bugs without leaving your home
- 08:57 Which area of Hull uses A&E for minor injuries the most?
- 08:53 FESTIVE BONANZA DAY 13: WIN! A £50 Vickerstown Interiors voucher,...
- 08:53 Ulverston PCSO issues warning to drivers over email scam
- 08:53 Confusion as Holbeach pub ‘closes’ its doors
- 08:52 Search is on for the top accountants
- 08:52 Rachael helps set the scene for play
- 08:47 DR MAX: It makes my blood boil, the Muslim wives we doctors just...
- 08:46 BREAKING: Train derails and explodes into flames in Bulgaria,...
- 08:45 11 of the most bizarre yoga classes to have come out of 2016
- 08:44 Missing father Stephen Woolley's car is found
- 08:43 Burnley travel guru helps HQ to business award
- 08:39 QUICK QUIZ: Test your news knowledge
- 08:39 Men jailed for shoplifting in Buxton
- 08:39 A big cheer from Melton for Make It Happen 2016
- 08:37 What’s on in Derbyshire this weekend?
- 08:37 QUICK QUIZ: Test your news knowledge
- 08:33 Oil platforms could be left in the North Sea
- 08:31 This Chelsea ace is so good it's like having an extra player out...
- 08:27 Aga cooker sparks city centre house fire
- 08:27 Man goes missing from Nottinghamshire village
- 08:26 Elliot ready to return after nine months out
- 08:25 Students rise to the challenge at RAF base
- 08:25 Arsenal and Manchester United target Dimitri Payet available for...
- 08:24 ‘Bridlington is an amazing place with a lot to offer’
- 08:22 Four killed after train derails and explodes in Bulgaria
- 08:21 Grantham Journal column: We’re pushing to get new complex built
- 08:19 PHOTOS: Banbury Santas run for hospice
- 08:18 Can cyclists ride side-by-side on the road?