Lancashire tops chart for issuing fines to parents if kids miss school
0 Have your say Lancashire County Council is among the local authorities topping the chart for the number of fines it has issued to parents whose children fail to attend school.
Figures obtained by law firm Simpson Millar through a freedom of information request have revealed that more than 114,000 fines were issued to parents in the 2015/2016 school year for unauthorised absence.
North West councils issued the most fines – 22,687 – of which Lancashire County Council issued 5,654, amounting to £339,240 if they were paid within 21 days.
Lancashire joins Suffolk and Bradford councils in... read more
- 15:40 New warning about battery waste after second fire at Wyberton...
- 15:40 Column: Bomb hoax shows now is the time to review emergency situations
- 15:38 Germany manager Joachim Low 'very optimistic' that Manuel Neuer...
- 15:38 Jack Butland axed from England World Cup squad... but only by...
- 15:38 Northamptonshire councillors vote to cut their own allowances in...
- 15:38 When does summer start?
- 15:38 'We need the commissioners to step in': Man in charge at...
- 15:38 'It's not enough, but it's a start' - 11 things you said about NHS...
- 15:37 York-based Mitrefinch secures deal to help it grow in US
- 15:37 Is slugging a good idea?
- 15:36 Telegraph View: How did society arrive here?
- 15:35 Diplo: 'Being a white American, you have zero cultural capital'
- 15:34 Collaboration key to attracting and retaining talent, business...
- 15:34 Edinburgh’s Russian diplomat calls for Boris Johnson to resign
- 15:34 How you can help make Easter special at Claire House without the...
- 15:34 Liam Payne offers rare glimpse of baby Bear on first birthday
- 15:33 Blackpool toy firm's bears for bereaved parents
- 15:33 Raising a glass to some of the Fylde coast’s most famous watering...
- 15:33 Celebrating National Puppy Day with the Guide Dogs
- 15:32 OPINION: If you've not got anything nice to say, don't say it at all
- 15:32 Glasgow’s Pavilion Theatre saved from Sauchiehall Street blaze
- 15:32 Leicestershire Police rated as 'good' for effectiveness
- 15:32 Lorry fire closes lane on A1M in Yorkshire
- 15:31 Perrie Edwards and Gigi Hadid prove they have the same taste as...
- 15:31 Rod Stewart slams Elton John’s farewell tour: ‘It’s dishonest’
- 15:30 Fantasy Football tips: Every penalty taker in the 2018 Premier League
- 15:30 How Birmingham bus services are affected this Good Friday, Easter...
- 15:30 The unlikely Aston Villa hero mobbed by his new fan club
- 15:30 Shooting victim 'ran home after gun attack' in Erdington
- 15:30 Knife wielding gang who robbed One Stop store in Kenilworth jailed...