Lancashire tops chart for issuing fines to parents if kids miss school
Lancashire County Council is among the local authorities topping the chart for the number of fines it has issued to parents whose children fail to attend school.
Figures obtained by law firm Simpson Millar through a freedom of information request have revealed that more than 114,000 fines were issued to parents in the 2015/2016 school year for unauthorised absence.
North West councils issued the most fines – 22,687 – of which Lancashire County Council issued 5,654, amounting to £339,240 if they were paid within 21 days.
Lancashire joins Suffolk and Bradford councils in issuing the most... read more
- 00:23 Viewpoint: India court disregards woman's right to choose husband
- 00:23 Ambitious Wales economic growth plan that encourages firms to...
- 00:19 Quetta's Hazara: The community caged in its own city
- 00:19 Laurent Wauquiez: Right-winger is French opposition hope against...
- 00:16 University chiefs must curb pay excesses, says minister
- 00:16 Fury returns to London for UKAD steroid hearing
- 00:16 Clement warns City off celebrations
- 00:16 Klopp: I won’t apologise for squad swaps
- 00:16 New report praises West Yorkshire Police
- 00:16 Christine Keeler: the one that got the blame
- 00:16 State of the Nation(alists)
- 00:16 Guitar over Gaza
- 00:16 Grenfell victims still sidelined
- 00:16 Museum grab condemned as ‘bid to humiliate’ Catalonia
- 00:16 Emboldened Netanyahu set straight by EU
- 00:16 Celtics vs Bulls LIVE stream: How to watch Boston against Chicago...
- 00:16 Maduro hails socialist gains
- 00:16 Kerslake’s trust put in special measures
- 00:16 Ex-fire chief who led cuts appointed to Grenfell panel
- 00:16 A THIRD OF GIRLS ABUSED AT SCHOOL
- 00:15 'Worrying alarm call' for world's birds on brink of extinction
- 00:15 The SRU facing difficult questions over bid for English Premiership...
- 00:14 Concerns over Yorkshire police force’s 'stop and search' scrutiny
- 00:13 Consultation launched today into 'opt out' organ donation scheme
- 00:13 Cumbria Police rated good over ethics
- 00:11 Consultation launched today into 'opt out' organ donation scheme
- 00:11 Cumbria Police rated good over ethics
- 00:10 Full moons increase chances of fatal motorbike crashes
- 00:09 Councillor's faith restored as shop repair bike vandalised when he...
- 00:09 Punishments for animal abusers are going to get much tougher