Lancashire museum used in King's Speech to close
A cotton mill museum that appeared in the Oscar-winning film The King's Speech will be closed to the public from Friday due to council budget cuts.
Queen Street Mill Museum in Burnley is among five museums owned by Lancashire County Council that will shut although they will open for school visits.
Along with Helmshore Mills Museum, which will also close, the Burnley museum is the last working example of Lancashire cotton spinning and weaving.
The council plans to save £65m by 2018.
Councillor Marcus Johnstone, cabinet member for environment, planning and cultural services, said:... read more
- 10:50 Man suffers cut face during mobile phone robbery in Northampton
- 10:50 One third of Brits have sleepless nights worrying about debt
- 10:49 Revealed: Cost of delayed discharge to Scunthorpe hospital
- 10:49 Real Madrid news: Zinedine Zidane makes huge Cristiano Ronaldo...
- 10:48 Building of new £4.2m teaching block at Todmorden High School begins
- 10:48 Government scraps digital tax hit for landlords, small firms and...
- 10:48 Japanese promotion sanctions fight between 12-year-old Child and...
- 10:48 The unicorn trend is infantalising us all and it needs to die
- 10:47 Train operator reveals Friday strike timetable
- 10:47 Powerhouse fund firm’s new Preston office
- 10:47 Corrie star Kym immortalised in wax
- 10:47 Top five strategies for new runners
- 10:46 Bank Holiday weather predictions for the North West
- 10:46 Corrie star Kym immortalised in wax
- 10:46 Who is Coventry City's new commercial director David Boddy?
- 10:46 Professional football clubs raided over suspected tax fraud
- 10:46 Rail stike to go ahead as union talks collapse
- 10:45 Magic wall of sound from Mendoza
- 10:45 Where is the much-vaunted BBC ‘impartiality’?
- 10:45 Man City transfer targets should include a defensive midfielder...
- 10:45 Police have launched an appeal to find missing 20-year-old Jenessa...
- 10:45 Female jogger punched in the face and subjected to horrific sex...
- 10:45 Barcelona vs Real Madrid: Who will come out on top in La Liga title...
- 10:45 Everton star Morgan Schneiderlin warns Premier League leaders...
- 10:45 Rail stike to go ahead as union talks collapse
- 10:45 Sunderland boss David Moyes charged with bringing the game in to...
- 10:44 When are the 2017/18 Football League fixtures released?
- 10:44 Higher exports to lift German growth, investments - economy ministry
- 10:44 Why do snooker players wear bow ties and waistcoats?
- 10:44 Woman robbed at knife-point in Welford Road in Leicester city centre