Lady Brittan: How police cast a dark shadow over Leon's final days
Lady (Diana) Brittan's husband, ex-Home Secretary Lord (Leon) Brittan, died in January 2015 with an allegation that he'd raped a 19-year-old female student in 1967 hanging over him.
Months after his death, the Metropolitan Police said that, had he been alive, he would not have been prosecuted, and apologised for its handling of the case. Here, for the first time, Lady Brittan describes the ordeal she endured.
I went to visit him when he was recovering from a really quite a serious operation related to the cancer he had.
He was lying in hospital. He said: "I've just been rung by the... read more
- 03:52 Malaysia murder mystery breaks with North Korean assassin tradition
- 03:52 Malaysia says VX nerve agent was used in murder of Kim Jong Nam
- 03:52 Trump repeats call for US nuclear supremacy
- 03:50 Funding cuts to black police group a bid to silence critics - officers
- 03:42 Historic moment for Copeland as Conservative Trudy Harrison wins...
- 03:42 Guatemala army blocks Dutch boat offering abortions
- 03:31 University staff targeted with bogus pay rise scams
- 03:31 Samsung Electronics to strengthen controls for donations amid...
- 03:26 ‘A blatant racket’: Gangsta Granny stage company pulls shows at...
- 03:15 'Are we good? Yeah, we're good!': Tom Daley, 22, continues to put...
- 03:15 'She was very keen to get to know him': Ashley Roberts, 35, 'cosied...
- 03:15 'I wouldn't have been a good mom': Oprah Winfrey says she doesn't...
- 03:13 Conor McGregor is on his way out of the UFC - Tony Ferguson
- 03:12 High Tides - February 25 to March 4
- 03:11 University staff targeted with bogus pay rise scams
- 02:50 Japanese stocks pare losses, heads for modest weekly gains
- 02:49 Leila De Lima: Top Duterte critic arrested on drug charge
- 02:49 Trump adviser hails 'new political order'
- 02:49 Olathe shooting: Murder charge after Indian man killed in bar
- 02:47 Toxic nerve agent VX was used to murder North Korean leader's half...
- 02:32 Samsung Electronics to strengthen controls for donations amid...
- 02:32 ‘A blatant racket’: Gangsta Granny stage company pulls shows at...
- 02:14 Baidu's quarterly revenue falls 2.6 percent
- 02:14 Alphabet's self-driving car unit sues Uber with trade theft charge
- 02:07 EFL Q&A: Joby McAnuff on winning promotion, watching John Barnes...
- 02:07 Cody Gribble and Wesley Bryan take lead at Honda Classic in Palm...
- 01:45 Emmerdale fans set up social media campaign to free Aaron Dingle...
- 01:41 Magnitude 5.7 quake strikes Lake Tanganyika area - USGS
- 01:35 #FlyDSA: “My house to Paris in just three hours - I was amazed!”
- 01:33 Pressure from parents seeing children misdiagnosed with special needs