Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn tells hundreds of supporters in Jarrow 'we are united'
Jeremy Corbyn told hundreds of supporters that the Labour Party needed to embrace the spirit of the Jarrow Crusade.
Mr Corbyn, who was re-elected party leader with an increased mandate last month, commemorated those who made the 300-mile journey from Jarrow to London in 1936 at the 80th anniversary celebration at Monkton Stadium on Saturday.
In a speech that lasted just over half an hour Mr Corbyn covered topics ranging from Bede, the effects of de-industrialisation, the history of the trade union movement to grammar schools, working conditions and the NHS. He also took time to pay tribute... read more
- 07:17 'There are so few places like it': Petition to save tree top walk...
- 07:15 Growing number of young people in the West Midlands receiving...
- 07:15 Farndon Bridge to close for major repair work
- 07:13 One lane of M1 exit slip road blocked near Leeds
- 07:12 One lane of M1 exit slip road blocked near Leeds
- 07:12 Cobblers move ‘ticked the right boxes’ for ambitious striker Williams
- 07:11 Unai Emery to Arsenal: Ex-PSG boss will be SHOCKED by this at...
- 07:11 Antoine Griezmann to Barcelona: Atletico Madrid star sent huge...
- 07:11 Malaysia's 1MDB scandal investigator tells of death threats and...
- 07:10 An open letter to anyone who watched the royal wedding and worries...
- 07:10 Fabletics drained my 16-year-old daughter’s bank account
- 07:08 Ratcliffe brace sees Trojans grind out victory to remain top of table
- 07:08 Potter receives funding boost as she chases Olympic dream
- 07:07 Carlisle man moves on after Manchester terrorist attack
- 07:07 Notorious Carlisle nuisance sent to prison for making abusive 999...
- 07:07 Flats set for approval despite parking fears
- 07:06 Is Bercow heading for a fall?
- 07:05 Over-sterile and germ-free homes ‘could be behind leukaemia...
- 07:04 Hartlepool United eye move for out-of-contract full-back
- 07:04 Man Utd coach Jose Mourinho ‘considers Eric Bailly sale’: Tottenham...
- 07:03 Schools: how to raise £1m a year
- 07:02 Business leaders say economic nationalism is biggest growth threat
- 07:01 Guest Column: Living with bipolar is tough but help is out there
- 06:58 Ariana Grande shares message of support on anniversary of...
- 06:58 Police issue CCTV images of men wanted over Doncaster attack
- 06:57 Michael Sturrock: New rules on data are good business practice
- 06:57 Meghan Markle hints at feminist role in monarchy
- 06:57 Police issue CCTV images of men wanted over Doncaster attack
- 06:56 UK’s new air pollution strategy ‘hugely disappointing’, says Labour
- 06:56 A64 restrictions change to aid traffic