Kyrgyzstan votes for constitutional referendum, seen boosting president
Kyrgyzstan's parliament voted on Thursday to call a referendum on constitutional change that would strengthen the powers of the prime minister, a move opponents say is aimed at getting President Almazbek Atambayev into the post when his term ends.
The Central Asian nation's constitution bars Atambayev from running for a second term when his mandate ends in 2017.
The former Soviet republic's parliament passed a bill setting the referendum for Dec. 4. It will need to be passed in two more readings to become law.
Atambayev's Social Democratic party leads the ruling coalition in parliament.
The... read more
- 06:21 Virgil Van Dijk to Chelsea: Antonio Conte makes Southampton star...
- 06:19 Where to find the best bacon butties in Britain
- 06:19 Aston Villa transfer news and rumours digest: Ex-favourite on the...
- 06:19 Birmingham City transfer news and rumours digest: Enquiry for...
- 06:19 West Brom transfer news and rumours digest: A potential...
- 06:18 Multi-use games area opened at Wellesbourne Sports Centre
- 06:17 Ross Barkley: Tottenham to take time to sign Everton star - report
- 06:16 Broughton Airbus secures $39.7bn worth of deals at Paris Air Show
- 06:16 ‘Freddie’ Flintoff set to make his stage debut in Blackpool
- 06:15 Just weeks away from Cornbury’s swansong
- 06:14 Virgil van Dijk: Chelsea closing in on £60m deal for Southampton...
- 06:13 Nicola Sturgeon accused of 'going rogue' after picking fight with...
- 06:13 'Real misery is being caused to no good purpose' High Court judge...
- 06:13 Tories may sink as fast as fishermen's hope after Ian Duncan's...
- 06:10 Brian Wilson: The SNP are great at asking for your views – but...
- 06:10 Experimental bone growth treatment saves dog’s leg
- 06:10 Pupils taught to help classmates at risk of ‘honour’ violence
- 06:07 Being Donald Trump: the life of an impersonator
- 06:06 Birmingham Live: Breaking news, travel and weather across the...
- 06:06 Games Inbox: Sega Forever concerns, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy...
- 06:06 Prince Harry: No one wants to be king or queen
- 06:05 SE Asia Stocks-Largely flat; Thailand hits over 2-mth high
- 06:06 Sheffield faces £41m shortfall for flood protection schemes
- 06:05 Friend of former South Korea leader jailed for three years - Yonhap
- 06:05 Burton MP Andrew Griffiths to start big 10k race in Marchington
- 06:02 Kylian Mbappe to PSG: £119m bid made for Monaco striker - report
- 06:02 Excitement builds for Strictly return
- 06:02 Real Madrid News: Cristiano Ronaldo requests Gelson Martins...
- 06:02 Arsenal closing in on Alexandre Lacazette: £50m deal could trigger...
- 06:01 5 reasons why Rotherhithe is the best place to live in London