Kuwait emir dissolves parliament over fuel price row
Kuwait's cabinet has resigned and parliament has been dissolved, triggering early elections.
The moves follow disputes between MPs and the government over fuel price increases in the oil-rich country.
State-run TV cited a "lack of co-operation".
As oil prices around the world stay low, Kuwait's government has cut some benefits including fuel subsidies, hiking the cost of petrol by up to 80%. This led to growing dissent.
The government would have completed its normal four-year term in July next year.
MPs in the current parliament are widely regarded as pro-government but have filed... read more
- 13:22 Liverpool target Naby Keita admits he wants to join Manchester City
- 13:22 Scots version of Harry Potter to be published
- 13:22 SO Fest performances in Horncastle relocate to Stanhope Hall due to...
- 13:21 Hillsborough: What the six defendants are accused of
- 13:20 Rare bee-eater birds seen at Nottinghamshire sand quarry
- 13:20 Mileposts project nears completion
- 13:20 Tributes paid to 17-year-old girl 'angel' Saffron Pickering
- 13:20 Appeal to find teen last seen outside Nottinghamshire supermarket
- 13:20 Get your free Herald bottle of water at Stratford River Festival
- 13:20 PICTURE: Cute little kestrel chicks are laid at Conisbrough Castle
- 13:20 Manchester United forward Anthony Martial responds to Old Trafford...
- 13:19 Three-year sentence for spice dealer given a second chance
- 13:19 Michael Bond, creator of Paddington bear, dies at 91
- 13:19 Debris causes delays
- 13:19 Fun event assault and theft probe by police
- 13:19 Ramadan event helps victims of terror outrage
- 13:19 Korean nuclear firm to be 'long-term partner' in Cumbria
- 13:19 Popular Paul to get public send-off
- 13:19 First birthday joy for miracle twin sisters
- 13:19 Manic episode 'caused killing'
- 13:19 Death of a horse whisperer at 70
- 13:19 Next stop... price hikes
- 13:19 Five ways to protect yourself from ID fraud - and 5 things to do it...
- 13:18 Korean nuclear firm to be 'long-term partner' in Cumbria
- 13:18 Reported West Brom transfer target wants to fight for place at Man...
- 13:18 Drug addict tried to swindle his own mum by pretending to be kidnapped
- 13:18 Transfer rumour: Aston Villa target to join Championship rivals
- 13:18 Delayed by the Edinburgh airport power outage? Find out if you can...
- 13:18 Former West Yorkshire chief Norman Bettison charged over alleged...
- 13:18 Chelsea Transfer News LIVE updates: Worrying Courtois update,...