Kurdish militia role in Raqqa offensive could trigger ethnic conflict - Turkish official
An offensive to retake the Syrian city of Raqqa from Islamic State using Kurdish militia fighters would trigger an ethnic conflict there, a senior Turkish official said and warned that the operation should avoid triggering further divisions.
The official said Syrian Kurdish YPG has so far failed to entirely withdraw from the Syrian city of Manbij west of the Euphrates river despite promises for it to do so.
Turkey views the YPG as a hostile force with deep links to Kurdish militants who have fought a three-decade insurgency on Turkish soil, putting it at odds with Washington which sees the... read more
- 19:29 Diogo Jota: A lowdown on the player in talks with Wolves
- 19:27 North Korea REVEALED: Is Kim preparing for missile submarine tests?
- 19:26 Splatoon 2 Nintendo Switch: Salmon Run, Turf War tips, tricks and...
- 19:26 Why are women more bloodthirsty than men? Why do they love crime...
- 19:21 North Wales police officer cleared of stealing £72 bottle of...
- 19:15 Sergio Aguero reveals his love for Manchester City starlet Phil...
- 19:14 Two men appear in court charged with murder of Euan Johnston
- 19:14 'Filthy' B&B owner fined £7k for false four-star rating
- 19:13 New Chinatown developer in furious attack on council "witch hunt"
- 19:12 The six deadliest cancers: THIS is how long patients are expected...
- 19:12 Barcelona star Neymar has five reasons for wanting Paris St-Germain...
- 19:12 Princess Charlotte falls over and bursts into tears while Prince...
- 19:11 What Man City must do to be better than Manchester United and...
- 19:11 Manchester United defender Daley Blind gives update on his future
- 19:11 Train driver almost killed by concrete slab thrown from bridge
- 19:11 Inspirational paralympian honoured by University of Cumbria
- 19:10 REVEALED: Airport security ADMIT to choosing pretty passengers so...
- 19:10 Sean Spicer quits White House after Donald Trump snubs him for top job
- 19:09 Instagram named most dangerous social network for cyberbullying
- 19:09 Nuneaton groper who targeted woman running alone is jailed
- 19:09 The Open 2017: Richie Ramsay to use 1999 Championship as...
- 19:07 Hospital shake-up bosses showed 'contempt' towards the process, say...
- 19:06 Ulverston GSK investment 'fairy tale' turned into nightmare
- 19:07 Bid to find Shipley drug smuggler's missing millions
- 19:06 Ulverston and North Lonsdale Show ready to stage great family day out
- 19:07 The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge fly home after tour
- 19:06 Win a family ticket prize for Ulverston and North Lonsdale Show
- 19:07 Aberdeen holidaymakers face 38-hour flight delay
- 19:06 'Orange army' prepared to tackle train disruption in South Cumbria
- 19:06 Business federation leader calls for resolve in face of job cuts