Kirklees Council leader reveals the cuts are far from over
More cuts are looming as multi-million pound black holes open up in Kirklees Council’s finances.
The council could be as much as £65m in the red by 2021, it has been revealed – twice as bad as calculated this time last year.
Despite a host of unpopular money saving cuts; including to bins, tips, museums, and staffing levels, councillors have been told gaping holes in the budget are proving impossible to fill.
The huge shortage of cash is a consequence of the stunning £50m-a-year reduction in the grants paid by the government to Kirklees between 2016 and 2020.
The funding headache means... read more
- 00:16 Brazil: Judge’s death investigated
- 00:17 Personal data being shared on huge scale, claims Which?
- 00:17 Bastia 1-1 Nice: Mario Balotelli kept quiet on his return as away...
- 00:16 Protests mark Trump’s first day as US president
- 00:17 Sir Michael Fallon vows the US will remain UK's closest...
- 00:17 Paul Clement believes Daniel Sturridge can cope with Jurgen Klopp's...
- 00:16 Ex-doctor is Labour choice for Copeland
- 00:17 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola claims B teams are 'the...
- 00:16 Corbyn: Cuts would dog independence
- 00:16 Police Taser Own Racism Adviser
- 00:13 Second-hand tyres put lives at risk, councils warn
- 00:12 Boris Johnson urges unseated Gambian president Yahya Jammeh to...
- 00:12 Pair face child cruelty sentencing over girl's death
- 00:12 Woman held over Leonne Weeks stab death released on bail
- 00:12 'Unfit mother' and partner jailed for letting tragic Poppy, four,...
- 00:12 Nine fined for wilful obstruction of highway in Heathrow Black...
- 00:12 MP claims poor areas 'suffer biggest cuts' amid pharmacy funding...
- 00:12 Ex-boxer's body to be cryogenically frozen, family reveals
- 00:12 Heart surgeon struck off after showing 'reckless disregard' for...
- 00:12 Your personal data on sale to scammers and cold callers for just 4p
- 00:11 Oumar Niasse vows to prove Everton wrong in Hull loan spell as...
- 00:11 Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola on Sergio Aguero signing new...
- 00:10 That Midas touch can prove elusive
- 00:10 Robber attacked woman during raid on Leeds newsagents
- 00:10 Leeds Festival drug dealer locked up
- 00:08 Chief: Man United could have sold this player for more… we were outbid
- 00:04 Ex-model, 34, starving to death from rare disease has shrunk to 77...
- 00:03 Austria arrest 'foils terror attack' in Vienna
- 00:00 Newcastle United midfielder Isaac Hayden: I could still be at...
- 23:56 Trump backers' disparate hopes coalesce around promise of change