King Harold the Great? How history might have changed if the English had won at the Battle of Hastings
We may not know exactly how England's King Harold died at the Battle of Hastings in 1066, but die he certainly did, in spite of later rumours that he fled and became a hermit.
But what if it had been Duke William's lifeless body stretched out on English soil, not Harold's?
In an article for The Conversation, Charles West, Reader in Medieval History and Alyxandra Mattison, Doctoral Researcher in Medieval Archaeology, both from the University of Sheffield, explain why history would have been very different.
KING HAROLD II Born: c.1020
Parents: Godwin, Earl of Wessex, and Gytha of Denmark... read more
- 13:35 Barcelona striker Luis Suarez: I like this Real Madrid star
- 13:34 Tributes paid to ‘lovely’ teen who died after amateur boxing match...
- 13:34 Suspicious incident in Bakewell last night
- 13:33 'We will be united or not at all!' Tusk warns of EU obliteration if...
- 13:32 Power Rangers news: Shock reason new movie is RATED 18 in Russia -...
- 13:31 The 'swishing' text message scam is shockingly clever and could so...
- 13:31 Wearside wildlife club picks up national award
- 13:31 New salaries for Sunderland City Council: Who earns what?
- 13:30 Ofcom' plans could cost telecoms providers £185m in compensation...
- 13:30 The new £1 coin is near - but you may not be able to use them...
- 13:29 Central Congo militia decapitates 40 police officers in ambush
- 13:28 Riverdale season 1: Who killed Jason Blossom? Best Netflix fan...
- 13:25 6 independent cafes in Leicester city centre that you must try
- 13:25 Lord Bach launches four year police and crime plan for Leicestershire
- 13:25 Northwich play area improvement scheme gets funding boost
- 13:25 What's the hold-up for house sales in Huddersfield?
- 13:25 Arsene Wenger gives update on new Arsenal contract and reveals...
- 13:24 Pokemon Go ENDLESS EVENTS and TRADING: Why Niantic's shiny update...
- 13:24 Sukie’s party shop boss to retire as business relocates to retail...
- 13:23 Red Nose Day fun in Lancashire
- 13:23 The unusual reason why Emma Willis decided to have a third child
- 13:23 Wolves boss Paul Lambert on the future of Helder Costa
- 13:23 These laws are set to come into effect this April - all you need to...
- 13:22 Cat stays warm in a jumper and onesie after almost drowning in a flood
- 13:22 Drone footage beautifully captures Blade leaving Hull city centre
- 13:22 14 films to look forward to in 2017
- 13:21 Springtime sunshine bathes Cumbria - share your scenes
- 13:20 Bringing ‘the big room’ into use
- 13:19 Scousers wanted - get paid just to speak in a Liverpool accent
- 13:19 Pooper snoopers to professional beggars: council's creative...