Kerry calls on Taliban to choose path to 'honourable' peace
The Taliban should look at the example of a deal between the Afghan government and militant commander Gulbuddin Hekmatyar as a path to an "honourable" peace in Afghanistan, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Wednesday.
Kerry told an international conference in Brussels to raise funds for the Western-backed Afghan government that the Taliban could not win on the battlefield.
He pointed to a peace agreement announced last week with the Hezb-i-Islami militant group headed by Hekmatyar, "one of the country’s most notorious figures."
"This a model for what might... read more
- 08:56 FTSE LIVE: Footsie negative amid slew of earnings updates; PM...
- 08:55 Where you can’t see the wood for the trees: Inside the...
- 08:55 Brazil legend Rivaldo: This is what I think about Diego Costa's...
- 08:54 Hundreds of jobs at risk as bank closes branches
- 08:51 30 people missing after avalanche buries hotel in Italy
- 08:51 South African mining deaths fall to new record low in 2016
- 08:51 Malaysian PM tells Myanmar to 'stop the killing' of Rohingya, as...
- 08:51 Supermarket worker’s £7,000 benefits fiddle
- 08:50 Man taken to hospital after Banff house fire
- 08:49 Twerking businessmen ads top complaints list
- 08:49 There is no way Donald can Trump this: Watch Barack Obama's top...
- 08:49 Tesco recalls popular curry brand after discovery of deadly cashew
- 08:48 Brandon takes on important role at Sea Cadets
- 08:47 Manchester United receive Antoine Griezmann transfer boost
- 08:45 Donald Trump firm’s golf bid sparks conflict of interest fear
- 08:45 Louth's St James' Church closed following asbestos discovery
- 08:45 Road closure remains in place as Liverpool gas leak probe continues
- 08:45 Wigan hotel is removed from asylum list
- 08:45 Ambulance service order to improve by inspectors
- 08:43 Manchester United overtake Real Madrid in Deloitte’s Money League...
- 08:42 Bitcoin exchange BTCC says operating normally, no official word...
- 08:42 Novak Djokovic crashes out of the Australian Open after losing...
- 08:42 Where do your Premier League club's earnings come from?
- 08:41 People’s Choice Awards 2017: Blake Lively BEATS Meryl Streep in...
- 08:41 Design firm opens Glasgow base on back of Scottish wins
- 08:41 'OMG just got pulled over again': Student's mysterious last text to...
- 08:41 Abruzzo avalanche hotel: 30 feared dead after Italian spa resort...
- 08:41 Best and worst energy firms revealed: Ovo tops table for customer...
- 08:41 'We're open for business!' PM bangs the drum for post-Brexit...
- 08:40 Ambulance service order to improve by inspectors