Kenya student: How health insurance saved my life
Eighteen-year-old high school student Edger Mulili says he would not be alive today if his father had not contributed $5 (£4) a month to a government health insurance scheme in Kenya.
Mr Mulili has cancer of the oesophagus.
He is currently undergoing a five-week chemotherapy and radiotherapy course at Nairobi Hospital, one of the country's leading private health facilities, located in the capital.
In recent weeks, Kenya's decades' old National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) has begun offering private treamtment to policyholders suffering from chronic conditions.
'Financial catastrophe' Mr... read more
- 12:44 Final surviving Dambuster to be reunited with his brave comrades in...
- 12:44 FOOD HYGIENE RATINGS REVEALED: One and two star takeaways in...
- 12:44 Sheffield man recalled to prison
- 12:44 Walsall College evacuated after 'bomb threat' - live updates
- 12:44 BBC wants to keep FM radio for longer
- 12:43 Norwegian government in crisis over minister’s terrorism comments
- 12:43 CCTV appeal to catch yob who smashed window at South Shields...
- 12:42 North east health trust signs up to NHS Smokefree Pledge
- 12:41 Case into abuse claims of Harrogate army recruits collapses amid...
- 12:41 ‘Selfless’ Tom raised £3,000 for Cancer Research after his dad’s...
- 12:41 Pound jumps after major step in Brexit negotiations
- 12:40 Woman battles chronic condition that has left her coughing every...
- 12:40 Ant McPartlin released under investigation following 'drink driving...
- 12:39 Row on Facebook spills over into trouble at Asda store
- 12:39 Visiting still suspended at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary due to...
- 12:39 Why it could still be a White Easter for Leicester
- 12:39 Stacey Solomon makes ‘controversial’ decision to homeschool her...
- 12:39 Debbie McGee to enter I’m A Celebrity after Strictly Come Dancing...
- 12:38 Winter Paralympics: the best bits from the Pyeongchang Games
- 12:37 Game on at The Grove Goodies and Geekery
- 12:37 New University of Derby chancellor installed during Buxton ceremony
- 12:37 Chase Terrace church to host fun and games at Easter Fair
- 12:37 Burntwood Labour councillors call for Conservatives to take action...
- 12:37 Warning no trains are likely to run on the cross city line to and...
- 12:37 Remembrance event for Lancaster boy who died in house fire
- 12:36 Brutal robber punches Corby woman in back of head and knocks her out
- 12:36 CCTV: Man steals cash in Wellingborough burglary
- 12:36 Burglars smash house window before stealing cash and jewellery in...
- 12:35 Disabled boy shows why people parking on pavements are being selfish
- 12:34 Jordan Henderson reveals message he wrote on Mohamed Salah’s matchball