Junk food shortening lives of children worldwide, data shows
Junk food and sugary drinks are taking an enormous toll on children around the world, with soaring numbers who are obese and millions developing conditions such as type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure previously seen only in adults, data has revealed.
Children were facing crippling illnesses and shortened lives because of the spread of the heavily marketed fast-food culture, experts said, and health services around the world would struggle to cope. They predicted that the UN target to stop the rise of childhood obesity by 2025 would be missed.
Egypt's obesity battle: 'No one cares about... read more
- 15:00 Mansfield man sent to crown court on cocaine charges
- 14:59 More than 800 homes in South Derbyshire village to be without water...
- 14:59 Amazing footage as the New Wear Bridge pylon sails into Sunderland
- 14:59 South Shields teen fights for his life after two-vehicle smash
- 14:59 Thorntons recalls festive favourites over fears they may contain...
- 14:59 Hetty’s centenary celebration
- 14:59 Fire crew called to help sick Barrow woman out of her home
- 14:59 Centres to go under shake up of services for children
- 14:58 Rangers manager Mark Warburton feels sympathy for Michael...
- 14:58 Wall Street flat as countdown to Trump's swearing-in begins
- 14:58 Missing Enderby man David Noakes - police drag lake in search for...
- 14:58 Boozer tried to break into mum’s house with garden fork in Mansfield
- 14:58 'I nearly killed myself - but help is available at mental health...
- 14:57 Case against ex-Celtic youth coach Jim McCafferty delayed
- 14:56 New council bid to get tough with travellers
- 14:56 Schoolboy wrote to Marten De Roon to say he was the best and got a...
- 14:56 Endangered baby white rhino meet her father for the first time
- 14:56 Kia Stinger price and specs revealed ahead of its UK release
- 14:56 ‘We knew we had to go in’ say flat fire heroes
- 14:56 Campaign launched to get Lincolnshire’s Red Arrows immortalised in...
- 14:56 Centres to go under shake up of services for children
- 14:55 Arsene Wenger reveals all on injury to key Arsenal man
- 14:55 Novak Djokovic's former coach: This is why he lost to Denis Istomin...
- 14:55 U.S housing starts surge in December; jobless claims near 43-year low
- 14:54 ‘We knew we had to go in’ say flat fire heroes
- 14:54 Centres to go under shake up of services for children
- 14:54 Tamworth FC: Youngsters from Amington enjoy a memorable meeting...
- 14:54 Additional one-lane closures announced for Tyne Tunnel
- 14:54 Diego Costa slammed: Chelsea star has shown greed, player power is...
- 14:53 Cash stolen in daylight house raid