Junior doctors' five-day strike call was not a mistake, says BMA committee chief
The decision to call five-day doctor strikes - which were then abandoned - was not a mistake, the head of the junior doctors' committee has said.
In her only media interview since strike action was called off, Dr Ellen McCourt told the Press Association junior doctors still had "a range of options" open to them to oppose the new contract, which is being imposed on medics from October 5.
Dr McCourt said each trainee would have to make their own decision whether to sign the contract from next week, and warned that patient safety may be put at risk due to its terms.
Dr McCourt, who... read more
- 09:50 Cash grant will help Carlisle nursery replace flood damaged equipment
- 09:50 Train derails and overturns in Cameroon killing at least 53 and...
- 09:50 Former X Factor boy band Union J perform at north Cumbrian school's...
- 09:49 Fire crews release casualty trapped in machinery at Dyke
- 09:47 BREAKING: Murder probe as British man found tied to Malaga airport...
- 09:46 Pet shop owner fined over waste disposal shambles
- 09:46 Orionids meteor shower: how to see this weekend’s spectacle
- 09:46 Bus wars: Arriva responds to YourBus competition with refurbished...
- 09:44 Oswestry skatepark death: Rave boss avoids being sent to jail
- 09:44 Shropshire netball official jailed for taking £50,000 of club funds...
- 09:44 Property damaged in chip pan fire
- 09:42 Firebugs cause more damage to playground
- 09:42 Warning after youths seen with fireworks at park
- 09:42 Cash grant will help Carlisle nursery replace flood damaged equipment
- 09:42 Former X Factor boy band Union J perform at Cumbrian school's prize...
- 09:40 Arsenal star Laurent Koscielny: This is how Arsene Wenger proved...
- 09:40 Marcus Rashford: Chelsea are just like Manchester United
- 09:38 Fundraising appeal to save Cantelupe Centre from closure gains...
- 09:38 You can ‘bank’ on volunteers to revamp school play area
- 09:36 Travel review: Hit the north to discover the real Portugal
- 09:36 Cumbria County Council to hike taxes by four per cent every year...
- 09:36 'Furness General Hospital staff made me feel like a criminal' says...
- 09:36 Crackdown on problems at Barrow block of flats revealed
- 09:36 Ben Taylor's videos are a MASTERCLASS in Yorkshire dialect
- 09:35 Prison worker denies collecting inmate's semen in affair allegation
- 09:35 Woman arrested in connection with historical child sex offences bailed
- 09:34 Big charity total raised by store staff
- 09:33 Failed Islamist suicide bomber found dead in Manchester prison
- 09:33 Britons spend eight years of their lives on housework
- 09:32 Child migrants from Calais Jungle 'welcome' in West Midlands,...