Jungle refugee camp faces closure after French court rejects appeal
The Jungle refugee camp could be closed imminently after a French court rejected an appeal from aid groups to delay the clearance.
French authorities are expected to empty the migrant camp in Calais in the coming weeks and dismantle it by the start of winter.
A Lille court has rejected a request from aid groups to postpone the closure, arguing that authorities are not ready to relocate its residents.
Charity groups warned that many of the migrants do not want to stay in France and may set up camp elsewhere to continue trying to cross the English Channel to Britain.
The French interior and... read more
- 08:06 Liverpool and Everton target Michael Keane 'flattered' by growing...
- 08:06 Lewis Hamilton and Formula One stars descend on Melbourne ahead of...
- 08:04 New mums sing the praises of Telford hospital's birth unit
- 08:04 Landlords hit back at new property licensing scheme
- 08:04 Four child sex offences recorded every day by West Mercia Police
- 08:04 Manchester United table record bid for Monaco star Kylian Mbappe...
- 08:03 Mercedes chief Toto Wolff: This is what Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri...
- 08:03 Arsenal stats: Top five players this season revealed, and no...
- 08:03 The morning news headlines: PM leads Parliament in show of defiance...
- 08:03 Manchester United considering summer move for midfielder: Scouts...
- 08:02 Russia's foreign minister says ready to discuss reducing nuclear arms
- 08:02 Thailand seeks new abbot for scandal-hit Buddhist temple
- 08:02 Murder latest: Jury told about row over football
- 08:02 London attack highlights importance of protecting borders, says...
- 08:02 WATCH LIVE 10.30AM THURSDAY: Brexit debate and European...
- 08:02 Beware the 'horrible hangover' from nationalism, EU leader warns
- 08:02 More work needed in managing change in public finances: Audit Scotland
- 08:00 Parliament terrorist attacker 'from Birmingham' - neighbour
- 08:00 Police in West Yorkshire ramp up patrols in wake of Westminster...
- 08:00 Nick Baines: From a Palace of democracy to an Abbey of prayer, the...
- 07:59 GVC to pay second special dividend for 2016 on favourable trading,...
- 07:57 Ukraine says saboteurs blow up arms warehouse in east
- 07:57 Sheffield sex abuse victims praised for 'courage' in reporting...
- 07:57 Owner of vicious Barrow dog 'still hasn't come forward'
- 07:57 A590 closed tonight and tomorrow night at Lindal 8pm-6am
- 07:56 House fire fought in Nottingham
- 07:55 Seven held after Westminster attack
- 07:53 Kier reports higher profit, forms residential JV
- 07:53 Armed police raid Birmingham flat after Westminister attack
- 07:53 Guest column: County will be more prosperous after Brexit