Judges grant permission for firearms jail sentence appeal
Judges have given permission for a man jailed for firearms offences to appeal his five-year sentence.
Stephen Robert Williamson, 43, of Station Road, Penrith, was caught with illegal expanding bullets, as well as working parts of a military self-loading rifle and other ammunition.
He was sentenced at Carlisle Crown Court in April, having admitted possession of prohibited ammunition, of a firearm and of ammunition without a certificate.
But his sentence will now be reviewed by the Court of Appeal, in London, after top judges said some of the evidence deserves further investigation.
Officers... read more
- 13:21 Man United beaten to forward deal: Medical arranged for tomorrow
- 13:21 Premier League XI of the week based on stats: Who got a 9.8?
- 13:21 Boss confirms in-demand West Ham and Arsenal target is in talks...
- 13:21 OPINION: Is the money in the Chinese Super League a threat to the...
- 13:20 Mosul battle: Children return to schools in recaptured east
- 13:20 Police warning over 'fake tradesmen' email scam
- 13:20 Tesco accused of ripping off customers after toilet rolls appear to...
- 13:20 Ryan Mason latest: Health updates after footballer fractured skull...
- 13:20 Defibrillator installed at Co-op's Dove Funeral Service, Uttoxeter
- 13:20 New weather warning for ice and freezing fog issued by Met Office
- 13:20 Are you listening Diego Costa? Chelsea star slams transfer to China
- 13:19 Who remembers enjoying a night out in this former favourite...
- 13:19 Green Party leader announces Amber Valley visit
- 13:19 Offshore wind farms power cost drops by 32% in five years, says report
- 13:19 PM to meet President Erdogan in Turkey
- 13:19 Reston now has its own defibrillator
- 13:19 Duns Probus members enjoy Buns Supper
- 13:18 Boilersuit Ball aims to raise vital funds for baby unit
- 13:18 'Mystery' of iconic Bettys building in Harrogate is solved!
- 13:18 Classic grub goes down a treat at St Francis Catholic Primary...
- 13:17 Kodi users targeted as the fight against piracy heats up
- 13:17 People are going nuts for this couple who look like EastEnders’...
- 13:17 Woman urges people to ‘murder all male babies’
- 13:16 Revealed: First look at £82m Coventry train station masterplan
- 13:16 Coventry Cathedral stands up for tolerance on Trump's inauguration
- 13:16 Coventry City fan takeover is 'doable', insists Sky Blue Trust
- 13:16 Head on collision near Banbury
- 13:15 No plans to close Dewsbury A&E department
- 13:15 Drink driver of 18-tonne HGV arrested near Wetherby after public...
- 13:15 Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick warns team-mates...