Judge awards £700,000 payout to former SSI contract steel workers
Anna Gowthorpe/PA Wire Former contract workers at SSI have reportedly been awarded a share of £700,000 by an employment judge over a lack of consultation when the Redcar plant shut.
The works were mothballed exactly a year ago, with all 3,000 staff and contractors made redundant.
Today, 154 workers from contractor Hargreaves, who handled raw materials and ran the coke ovens at the plant, were told they would receive a share of the sanction the company have to pay over the way they lost their jobs.
The award follows a five-day tribunal and equates to seven weeks pay.
In a statement... read more
- 14:43 Chris Coleman admits he could LEAVE Sunderland after relegation to...
- 14:43 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho backed to have the last laugh against...
- 14:43 Toure, Pires, Henry: Arsene Wenger's 10 best ever Arsenal signings...
- 14:43 Jurgen Klopp: What Roberto Firmino’s huge heart and support of Mo...
- 14:42 Leeds pub car park murder accused denies intending to cause his...
- 14:42 Abortion clinic buffer zones being considered by more councils
- 14:41 Woman was caught in possession of cocaine
- 14:40 Appeal after biker suffers broken collar bone in crash near Tyne...
- 14:39 Pale ale launched to mark 100 years of the RAF
- 14:39 Obam Stairlifts welcomes new team members
- 14:39 Lincs: Results from the courts
- 14:39 Woman was caught in possession of cocaine
- 14:39 Woman caused £60 worth of damage to car wing mirror
- 14:38 Woman handed three-year ban from Mansfield town centre
- 14:38 Calls for 'Angel of the North West' to celebrate World Heritage Status
- 14:37 BREAKING: Duchess of Cambridge gives birth to baby boy
- 14:37 Northamptonshire family 'proud' to welcome fifth female generation...
- 14:37 Festival atmosphere promised for Wellingborough beer festival
- 14:36 Science quiz - test your knowledge
- 14:36 Copper piping stolen from barn in Tideswell
- 14:35 Copper piping stolen from barn in Tideswell
- 14:35 Brave Sylvia Hatzer recovers from dementia - after changing her diet
- 14:34 Caught on camera... can you help the police
- 14:34 Perranporth's 'Mr Swan' likely to remain a widower
- 14:34 Police called in after man's body found at Doncaster hospital
- 14:34 Sheffield University urged to be radical to boost women in engineering
- 14:33 Deciding if Salah deserves PFA award ahead of De Bruyne is nigh...
- 14:32 Obam Stairlifts welcomes new team members
- 14:32 Caught on camera... can you help the police
- 14:32 No frills over 40? Why you should ignore age-based fashion rules