Joking apart, it's time to help patients loosen up, GPs told
Doctors are being urged to trust themselves to "go off-script" to help patients loosen up.
Stand-up comic and GP Dr Waqar Ahmed told medics attending the Royal College of GPs conference in Harrogate that they should listen to patients more and allow conversations to flow.
But he warned against overt jokes, saying: "Don't deliver a diagnosis with a punch-line or try to imitate Frankie Boyle or you may cause offence.
"No fat jokes or mother-in-law jokes."
Dr Ahmed said his experience in comedy and drama had shown him that it was vital to make things easy for the other... read more
- 14:38 Conor McGregor splashes £625 on Gucci sneakers as UFC superstar...
- 14:38 Manchester City players wrap up as they train in the fog ahead of...
- 14:38 Carabao Cup semi-final draw to take place on Wednesday after series...
- 14:38 Water supply restored to homes in Walney street
- 14:37 Anthony Joshua provides update on negotiations over next fight
- 14:37 Storm Dylan 'to bring high winds and heavy rain' over Christmas
- 14:37 Police are 'extremely concerned' for the safety of missing Hull man...
- 14:36 Mansfield man armed himself with kitchen knives to frighten ex
- 14:36 Warsop drink driver hit oncoming car
- 14:36 Sutton man faces cocaine and cannabis dealing charges
- 14:36 Mansfield man tried to get arrested to escape “attackers”
- 14:36 Get Leicestershire breaking news updates - direct to your phone
- 14:35 The top five web browser Christmas games
- 14:35 'Security incident' at RAF base in Suffolk
- 14:35 ‘What’s the point of staying at Arsenal?’ Mesut Ozil and Alexis...
- 14:34 Cumbria murderer 'was victim of miscarriage of justice'
- 14:34 Arsenal vs West Ham: Arsene Wenger issues Ramsey, Mustafi and...
- 14:34 RAF base on lockdown over ‘significant’ security incident
- 14:34 Manchester United sent Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford message...
- 14:33 Kettering rock pub re-opens under new management
- 14:31 Queensferry Crossing speed limit will increase from tomorrow
- 14:31 Backlash against jungle queen Toff as she rants about ‘bloody...
- 14:30 CCTV released in complex Skegness fraud case that targeted elderly
- 14:30 Parents killed in Haydock crash which injured their children named...
- 14:29 Mother drove at group of teenagers because her son was being bullied
- 14:28 How MONEY affects your happiness: Rich people are only content when...
- 14:28 Former BBC Sports Personality of the Year nominee Luke Donald...
- 14:28 Police appeal after collision between car and cyclist in Spalding
- 14:28 England can't keep arriving at a gunfight with an air rifle...
- 14:27 Gym workout plan: Do THIS type of exercise if you have been injured...